xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
frederick.ding

Difference Between College And University Does anybody know the difference?

While the terms today are often used interchangeably, originally a college was a specific school teaching a specific subject, such as Education, Medicine, etc. A University is a school made up of numerous colleges. In general, now a days, the difference is the level of degree that they can award. Colleges typically award Bachelor's degrees and Universities can offer Master's and Doctorate Degrees. The distinction has never been 'enforced' by any organization. College is also used to refer to a specific group within a University.Does this answer your question?

difference between a college and a university...well everywhere that is a university is also a collection of colleges. Put simply a university is made up of multiple colleges for example the university of texas is made up of the college of natural science, the liberal arts school, mcombs business school, etc...how can anyone stand going to them...that is an interesting question, generally you will have picked something that you have an interest in for me computer science. So to have this natural inclination makes it easier to go to school and learn about it, but there might be some classes in your major that you dont like. For me classes like calculus and chemistry, so how can I stand going to them? well it is definitely an effort, but I found that studying and going to class is easier if you have friends in that class that is not just any friends but friends who have a passion for the class. How do you find these people...well there are no seating charts and most of the time the professor lectures and no one in the classes of 400 really talk so it makes it hard at time to find them. Study groups can be good but generally the people who dont know how to study go to them....so in short it is luck if you find someone to help you in the course. It is my opinion that every course I take at college is for me (no matter how much I despise it) and so I will struggle to understand it better and to pass it, but also to broaden my views on that subject. An experience of some impossible coorespondence in the class also helps, but as the word implies the impossibility of the thing is often quite daunting.

My impression was that College = undegraduate department whilst University referred to an instution that gives you higher qualitifications like graduate studies, masters and phD's. Of course some institutions incorporate both.