xisto Community
shadowdemon

Is Php5 & Downloads Supported? Query : Services offered by Trap17

There are only a few small differences between php 4 and php 5 but some php 5 doesnt work on this site. Does the site allow php 5. Im wondering cause all i no is php 5 and some stuff isnt working.Also would it be alright if i took some stuff and uploaded it on my website for people to download. Or is there restrictions and stuff

No. When you login in to cPanel, look in one of the bottom corners (not being hosted here, I can't check myself) - it should give a quick description of the system, including which PHP version is currently in use.

Public hosting servers cannot afford to update the second a new release comes out, as it is likely (or at least possible) that it will contain bugs and vulnerabilities. The version being used is most likely a version that is known to be stable and reliable, or has been patched and updated to make it so.

There is almost nothing that you can do in PHP 5 that you can't do in PHP 4 with a little 'hacking'. Some of the functions obviously don't exist in earlier versions, but there are ways to get around this. Checking the PHP Manual would probably be a good place to start.

For example:

// PHP5:file_put_contents('file.ext','Data');// PHP <= 4:$file = fopen('file.ext','w');fputs($file,'Data');fclose($file);

Downloads are allowed providing you have legal right to use it, and that isn't the sole purpose of you website, like download.com. You can offer just downloads if you have made all of them and your site is like the developer site.Now as for php 5 I'm not so sure there is I think in cpanel on the left a like to server information, that might tell you what php is running, or you can make a simple script that will generate all server informaiton, the syntax can usualy be found at the start of a php book, or in the installiation guide.

A quick look in cPanel reveals that PHP version 4.3.11 is being used, presumeably because the latest versions are not yet stable, or contain too many bugs.

Often in the PHP Manual here there are alternatives listed, or users have posted work arounds and ideas.