xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
selim

Orange 'home' Screen

It's not so much the Orange network that's pissing me off. I think they give really great deals, especially for us students but it's the software they seem to be imposing on their phones now.I got a Nokia 6630 and it's a brilliant phone. Love it to bits but when I 1st started it up this sort of weird screen appeared. Apparently it's called the Orange Home browser or something like that.Basically it like a GUI menu that takes place of the normal Nokia screen. Only the sort of starting screen, you know. The screen that shows what operator, how much battery and signal and has that kinky wallpaper of your gf. Anyway it replaces that and it looks like it zooms in on the wallpaper and cuts off the egdes so it's really blurry and off centre. Then there's the fact that the menu isn't all that good. Especially when you want to use other applications for doing things, there's no way of using the joystick as a quick launch because it seems to be disabled :/OK so what if you just use the standard things that come with the phone? Fair enough it's ok but it can take longer to do something than it does with having the normal screen, or even going into the menu to do it.It seems to take up 1meg of memory and some people have complained it's buggy or slows down their phone.Oh and guess what. The only way to get rid of it is to flash the firmware. I.E. go to a service centre, pay X amount of cash and get them to put on the latest phone software put onto your phone. The fact that you have to pay to remove it what really annoys me. I haven't got the money to be splashing out silly things like this. Why did Orange make it so that it couldn't be removed? Which programmer thought that would be a good idea.I'm sure anyone in the UK that is on Orange, or recently got an Orange phone will know what I mean.My post is probably really random and doesn't explain things well but it is 2am here and I just realised how stupid that piece of software is.

So, why exactly is the Orange software loaded onto the phone in the first place? Is it an optional product? I've never come across this sort of thing, so it interests me somewhat.