xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
grnjd

How To Make The Team from personal exp

Making the track team

Most schools (mine) will let you be a member of the track team even if you are as slow as a turtle; so the title is a little misleading. But I will tell you guys on how to improve and be better in track. Basically just some tips. My specialties are the hurdles (fav); long jump, 100 meter and high jump (practically know nothing about).

To be a good hurler, you need to be flexible. The coach, internet, or any other source does not justify this enough. If you want to be a hurler, you need to be at least somewhat flexible waist down. For this purpose I searched the net and came up with the *drum roll* *drum roll* HURDLE STRECH!!!

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/404.png
http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/404.png

�Correct alignment of lead leg is important in the hurdle stretch, regardless if you are a hurdler or not. The foot must be aligned in the forward direction.

Extend right leg out in front of body, toe is toward the sky
Bend left leg, bringing knee out, away from the body, left foot is behind buttocks
Form an "L" shape with the legs
Push out through the heels, forcing toes to the sky
Bend at hips in nice easy stretch, reaching toward the feet or ankles
Bring chest to knee

To stretch the left leg quad
Turn the body and hands back toward the left side
Lean back slightly feeling a little tension, not strain

Sometimes a little assistance is needed to help the athlete maintain the "L" position until they can hold it for themselvesďż˝

Start in a sitting position with one leg straight out with your knee flat and your toes up. The other leg should be tucked so that the heel is touching your buttocks. Lean forward, reaching your hands as far as possible.

I believe that everyone was given a certain amount of flexibility at birth, some more than other. However, at some point in our lives, our flexibility decreases due to not doing anything. So to prevent your muscles and joints from becoming, inflexible, simply stretch everyday for about 5 minutes. Do each stretch and hold for 20 seconds. In order to do the hurdles you have to be flexible, otherwise you will either hook your trailing foot over one side of the hurdle or jump too high and slow you down Or the worst case, knock down the hurdle and fall flat on your face and everyone will laugh at you while you tear open and bloodied you beautify face lalala. :huh:

Anyway hurdling is all about timing and techniques, not all about speed and athletic ability. As you leap over the hurdles, try not to think of it as an obstacle, visualize and just run �through� the hurdles. Your stride should be in rhythm, if you have short legs, you will probably need to take 4 or 5 steps in order to reach the next hurdle. However the best will do 3 step jump 3 step jump�.etc. Towards the end of the race, don�t dip your head early since you might misjudge and not even be passing the finish line and fall flat on your face while people laugh at you since you torn your beautiful face and chip your tooth yayayaya. Anyway, just don�t dip too soon and practice your technique, you might even be scorer on your team.

Long jumping is all about timing and mostly athletic ability. When you run towards the jump line, do not start on the line, you will be disqualified for that jump, do not jump over the line, you will be disqualified, do jump a bit under the line, that way, you can be sure that your jump will qualify. When you are in the air, do a bicycle pump with your legs, pretend that you are riding your bike. Lend forward like you�re a hurler, so there will be less air resistance. Pretend that you are running and pump your arm. This will make you more aerodynamic and give you around maybe a second of hang time. The most important part is the height and the length that you will jump. Don�t jump too high since you won�t have any distance and don�t jump too low, then you might land prematurely. The perfect ratio, at least for me, is 3:8, 3:7, or even 3:9 (pushing it a little). The 3 being the height and the others being the distance.

Like many other track events, sprinting is also a formula, a ratio. How much power should you take to run the steps and how big should your stride be? Like the jp, if your stride is too long, you won�t be as fast. If your stride is too small, you will be taking baby steps and you still won�t be fast. The best balance will be a ratio of 1:1. 1 being power and 1 being ratio. Since you can�t measure power, this is the method that I use. Just stampede the floor while running as hard as you can while maintain a consistent stride. Just don�t make it too long and you should be fine. While running, your back should also be straight, bending slightly forward. You should pump your arms consistently with your opposite foot to maintain balance. Never pump your arms too �forward.� A sudden pump and strain a muscle