xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
spawn_syxx9

Windows Service Pack #2 Question do we have to?

I installed SP2 several weeks ago. I don't remember for back'up. I guess I did it by default. Important thing is that I worked fine and I have no problem with my previously installed programs, including Kazaa Lite ; a new feature installed by SP2 is a Center of security which checks that the antivirus and XP are always updated, and the activation of the fire-wall. I appreciate it very much.

Best thing to do is to back-up your data on CDs, format your old version of WindowsXp, make fresh install of WindowsXp (before that unplug your network cable from comp), install Service Pack 2 and there you go. And important thing is also to learn about firewall, antivirus and spyware before connecting to Internet.

I just hated the Windows Service pack 2, almost ruined my computer, it takes foever to sht down, to boot, just horrible, I've never trusted microsoft, and i knew that that update was going to fix something but mess up 100 more things that were fine....just like every other update from windows, patch of the patch of the patch, and well you don't have any other option, either get hacked by microsoft or get hacked by someone else because of all the security holes....

I've installed sp2 yesterday, and I'm all up and running again. The software I re-installed (I used a full windows xp with sp2 install cd, first formatted my C drive) don't show any problems. There's a list of programs that won't work correctly with sp2 on the microsoft website, wich I checked before installing sp2. Most programs can be fixed with a patch. The "improved" windows firewall was giving some problems though thus I disabled it and installed ZoneAlarm firewall. I don't think you have to worry much about a crashed system, It's just a bit of software, what can go wrong. . . . . . <_<

Is it worth downloading.....how much space does it take.? I want to know because i had it and it filled up like 6 gb of space. Also i didn't see anything special about it. I know its supposed to have many new features.