xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Lozbo

Best Cms for a big web site

I need to know what is the best content management system (free or commercial), for a site that needs lots of modules, general like news, searches, and particulars, like a directory with particular fields and a built in search by field, and things like that, highly customizable and of course standards compliance, multi user and user-privileges restrictive (so not every user can publish or update every other module)...Can somebody help me out with this? I guess i will have better chances with a commercial cms... so if you know about it please... post it! thanks!

I reccommend PHP-NUKE, I use it for my site, multiple language support(But Using One 1 is better), and big community. I even got PHP-NUKE and it's theme translated into my local language. I don't know much about XOOPS it doesn't seem popular in the country I live in.P.S. : PHP-NUKE IS commercial, you have to pay to get the VERY lastest version

Thanks im checking out xoops and php nuke, ive heard that the best free cms is mambo (and now joomla), but i was just thinkin that maybe a commercial version would be even better than the free versions, and as i can afford to pay for a license...So thanks and hope people keep posting about other cms...

definitively xoops is the best cms that exists you I recommend it. it has a great variety of modules that you can use it also adapts other scripts with license gnu so that you use them as modules. also in lapagina xoops.org is very good information and support :huh:

Alot of free CMS can handle a good site. If you really want a site your own style, I one that no one will have. You have to design(or mod) yourself a cms. I once did this and I must say, unless you're a very good programmer since alot made the mistake which made it easy to use sql injection

Yes, i have had a custom manager (not developed by me actually but by the software development area, as im not as good as id like as programmer), and im actually going to need custom managers now, becouse i havent found anythying that matches my search especifically.But thanks anyway! I will keep searching so if anyone knows keep posting please!

Yes, i have had a custom manager (not developed by me actually but by the software development area, as im not as good as id like as programmer), and im actually going to need custom managers now, becouse i havent found anythying that matches my search especifically.
But thanks anyway! I will keep searching so if anyone knows keep posting please!

What kind of CMS do you like? Maybe we can find some CMS you can custumize to your need?

Check out http://www.opencms.org/en/

If your site is big, then I would recommend either writing your own, or commissioning someone to write one for you. As good as all the CMS' floating around may be, they are generically built to cater for many different types of websites - having one designed especially for your website to do everything that only you require it to do can be very beneficial. That's my two cents worth, anyway.

I would suggest that you check out http://www.opensourcecms.com/ and http://www.cmsmatrix.org/ to look at a lot of different Content Management Systems. The second site has a great search feature that you can use to narrow down free and paid CMSs that conform to your requirements. The first site is great for all types of open source CMSs.

Good Luck with your CMS search!!

Having a CMS especially for a site can be beneficial, but there are down side too. If there is a bug, you have to fix it. If there is an exploit you must find and fix it. There will be alot less tester for the CMS you have.