xisto Community
Alex_W

The Hydrogen Car

Hasn't the hydrogen car been released a while ago? anyway, the hydrogen car is still too expensive and not good enough yet and the rich will still stick to the cool expensive mercs

Yeah, the hydrogen car has been out for a while. The most popular one that was heard of is the Honda. One family in the US has bought one and is the first in the world to commercially own one. The problem is that there are only i think 9 hydrogen stations in the US, so refilling can be a problem. Many people claim that gasoline is expensive nowadays, but hydrogen is like 7 bucks as compare to the same volume of gas. Anyways, I believe that hydrogen cars will be the future, unfortunately as I am a fan of gas-guzzling machines, but it is currently way ahead of its time.

Hi:I have always wanted an electric car. I think that the hybrid cars are cool too.My understanding, is that in Brazil, they have cars that run on ethanol. Grain alcohol. Seems like a really efficient way to go. Stop our dependance on oil. Grain alcohol can be made from plants, so its readily renewable.Sunkist

I can't say that I fully support hydrogen as an alternative fuel source. While gas is becoming more and more expensive, it's still going to take us many years to run out. The high prices are just to panic people into thinking that the higher gas prices are necessary as the resource is almost gone.Which it isn't. We literally have trillions left, and the so called "Oil Crash" is just paranoid apocalyptic nonsense that will not happen for at least 100-200 years. By then, we'll have a more dependable fuel source.But I can't agree with hydrogen. Sure, it's clean and renewable...but it's dangerous. While gas is explosive and flamable, hydrogen is much worse. I don't know much about hydrogen cars, but I believe they are using gas?If you get into a car wreck and leak gas, then you just have to get away from the car and hope no one flicks a cigerette near the spill. Either that or a spark won't ignite the fuel...which rarely happens in most car accidents. However, with hydrogen, if you spring a hydrogen leak and a guy maybe a car or two back is smoking a cigerette, then you not only have an explosion...you have a BIG *bottom* explosion. Gas car explosions can be pretty impressive, but hydrogen car explosions would probably be much, much worse.I would love to see something other then gas in cars, especially with America's growing need for every little tiny feature that ends up giving the car 9 miles to the gallon and therefore worsen the situation. However, I would rather pay $10-20 at the pumps then risk my life in a hydrogen car. But trust me, by the time the oil runs out, we'll have many alternate energy resources...unless more politicians like the Bush Adminstration continue to think that giving more money to oil giants will remedy the problem...especially since all the oil giants make a good 40-50 billion dollar profit every QUARTER. Which is 3 MONTHS. They don't need more money to invest in non-taxable Caymen Island accounts (which they do...along with most companies)

Nice that they have Invented that, but will it be more expensive with that kind of cars? hmm... In some years I will get a car but then I will not buy cars thats goes on Diesel or Bensin. Beacuse the oil fields will be soon finished with all oil. I think its just to wait and see....

The cost of a hydrogen car is probably as much as you'll save on gas in a couple years. I rather get a normal car, diesal, or hybrid, rather than hydrogen.

My understanding, is that in Brazil, they have cars that run on ethanol. Grain alcohol. Seems like a really efficient way to go. Stop our dependance on oil. Grain alcohol can be made from plants, so its readily renewable.
Sunkist

Actually the Diesel engine was originally designed to run on a variety of different fuels, mainly plant based. There are also conversions for gasoline cars to run on ethanol and also propane, which is still petroleum, but much more effecient than gas.

The hydrogen cars are a step in the right direction, but I think that if they became widely used, we would definitely have to make sure that people are much more responsible on the roads, because it would definitely be more dangerous.

The cost of a hydrogen car is probably as much as you'll save on gas in a couple years. I rather get a normal car, diesal, or hybrid, rather than hydrogen.

I honestly don't think that we should necessarily be focused primarily on economic cost when persuing alternative fuel sources. We have completely demolished the ecosystem by both searching for petroleum, and using it so carelessly. Using hydrogen may cost a few more dollars at a pump, but the long term benefits for everyone are much greater. Not to mention, that gasoline is working its way up in cost at a very steady rate.

Notice from BuffaloHELP:
Fixed quotes as reported. The correct usage of QUOTE is as follows
[QUOTE] insert quotes [/QUOTE]
the slash "/" denotes the end of BB code.

Edited by BuffaloHELP (see edit history)

Hydrogen cars may be the car of choice in the future. but right now its too undeveloped and too expensive to be effective. Maybe in a couple more years before the cars can actually go fast and be afforable to the common people.

How about the car that runs of used vegitable oil? Whenever the car needs a fill-up, the driver goes to the local fast-food place and picks up their used vegitable oil for gas. Saved him a lot of money.... The Hydrogen car would be like the used veg oil car probably

I would really like to see hydrogen cars and other types pick up and be standard. Would be nice to see as it would be way better on the environment. But if they arn't safe then it won't happen.I would much rather have a alchol powered car over hydrogen or propane. I keeps the combustion engine that everyone loves and makes gobs of power. Sure it requires alot more fuel vs gasoline but oh well.

How about the car that runs of used vegitable oil? Whenever the car needs a fill-up, the driver goes to the local fast-food place and picks up their used vegitable oil for gas. Saved him a lot of money.... The Hydrogen car would be like the used veg oil car probably

No, the two vehicles would be completely different, and vegetable oil is an organic compound, which means burning it would release CO2; a pollutant. Although it would be a good use of the vegetable oil, it wouldn't be an emission-free substitute for gasoline, and it's not avaliable in a large enough supply to fuel enough cars for it to be a new standard.