xisto Community
Red Alert

Super Smash Bros Melee

Who's your favorite character in SSBM? I prefer Fox because he has nice shine combos and shine spiking is so much fun. My secondary would have to be Marth because he's a little bit stronger and way faster than Roy.

Marth or Kirby. Marth because of his speed and the abusability that good timing can have with him...along with his great whack-em-up attacks. His B sword combo is great for getting back on platforms. The lack of a down B attack makes up for his great A set.I like Kirby, though, because of his easy fall recovery and his balance between flashy B moves and his brawling A moves. Not to mention, his smash attacks are rather deadly.

Link handles a bit too clunky for me. He's a great fighter, I'll give him that...but it's just something about the sword swinging and his spin attack that just throw me off. He also gets knocked into an anti-recovery spiral for longer then he needs to be. Though, his spin attack is great to get people off of you...it leaves you open big time. I've also never found a good use for the bombs...they seem outcasted by the arrows and the boomerrang.That's why I like Marth so much, his attacks are smooth and quick. He may not be as strong as Link, but he can sure deal in some blows. His B charge is pretty damn impressive...and while the down B seems to be a throw away...his A set makes up for it.But one character I can never use is Falcon/Gannondorf. They just handle way to differently and are just all over the place. I hate fighting them though...damn Falcon punch... =(

IIRC, Marth is stronger than Link with the tip of his sword...And I've never really seen Falcon Punch as much of a thread since it takes about a second to charge...Falcon's shffled (short hop fast fall l-cancel) fair (aerial forward A) is much more lethal...One of the fastest and most powerful attacks in the game.

It's the fact that it takes a second to charge that pisses me off the most. When you're in a 4 man brawl, Falcon just comes out of nowhere with it. =(And I like fighting Falco/Fox...mainly because they're fierce opponents when left in the hands of the computer. A good player will give you a run for you money with them also. But Fox handles like Link for me...too clunky. Fox and Link on Level 9 vs me and a friend team battles are always fun. 4 man brawls aren't so much.Heh, I'm such a wuss when it comes to big brawls. I jump out of the mess and kinda watch and wait for the moment to strike. Works great with stock, but not so well with short time battles.

Ha, but they're fun. If I wanted to play a game based on skill, I'd go pick up Soul Calibur or Mortal Kombat. SSBM is really more of a party game then a fighting game. It's damn good in both aspects, but 4 man brawls with items on at Hyrule or Pokefloats is just plain fun. =P

SSBM is really more of a party game then a fighting game.

190033[/snapback]

I disagree with that, but Super Smash Bros. Melee is kind of kiddy, its still a fighting game. Alot of people say games like Soul calibur have more depth to them, but you seen the pros play? (like Ken, Azen, Chu, Isai) They know Advanced Techinques by heart. </useless rant>

link is mine. I had a way to kill anyone with link. And i had a nasty combo with him. Trouw a bomb then grapple them then jump off him and he lands on the bomb then when hes in the air i boomerang at him. After that hes about halfway dead so i go up and hurt him. Then in that castle place were u can go underground go underground and tehres a litle brige that if u fall on u die. Well i can do my combo there and he ends up falling off or becoming sclose so if he is close i go over and beat him off.

Yea...Most people who say this is more of a party game than a skill game are the people who think Roy is stronger than Marth...most of them even think Roy is better than Marth XD

190168[/snapback]

WALL OF TEXT WARNING

While skill may be a great part to the game, I doubt the game's main purpose was to be a hardcore in-depth fighting game that people could be seriously dedicated to. I think the Super Smash Bros series was created for the sole purpose of fun. I mean hell, when you first played SSB, you didn't go through each character to see how great he was or what his movesets were.

I guarantee you that 100% of the people that owned the original Super Smash Bros picked whatever Nintendo character they liked the most and used that character to play through the Master Hand mode and even alot of versus rounds with other people and computers. Hell, I did it with Kirby and I still use the little pink fluff today.

In fact, alot of people I play with are very deadly with characters from their favorite video games, or even their favorite character period. I know one guy who's awesome with Link (I define awesome by anyone who can win a one stock no-item One human vs. 3 Level 9 computers on any stage for reference), and has played and beaten all the Zelda games (minus the horrible CDI games)...and finds them the greatest Nintendo games ever.

I play with someone who's awesome with Samus for the same reason, along with Mario and even Star Fox. My "awesome" guy that's based from my favorite Nintendo series is Kirby, for the sole reason that when I first saw the character select screen...I went "Oh snap Kirby yes!" and selected him and didn't even touch the other characters for the first week I had the original.

Why? I was perfectly fine playing with Kirby. I didn't care if he was a Top Tier character or a Bottom Tier character or even a Mid-Tier. Sure, some of his moves are great like the 7 jump and cutter blade...along with the rock attack, not to mention his smashes and juggling abilities. But that didn't make me become skillful with him, it was the fact that it was Kirby and the fact that I wanted to play with him.

And whie I've never heard of Marth, I use him because I just decided to go with a character I unlocked and I liked how he ran. :ph34r:;; Same events happened with Kirby.

And yeah, it takes skills to pull off the things you see in the tournaments. But let's look at Mario Party. Sure, any first timer can do alot of the mini-games right off the bat, but only a truly hardcore person could find the skill behind alot of them. Things such as timing, reaction, and even computer player analysis (oh, and people do that in SSBM, so don't rule this one out).

And I never classify a character as being better then another, nor do I laugh at anyone else who does. Someone may think Roy is better then Marth because they play better with Roy.

Oh, and Roy is actually stronger then Marth in the sense of damage. Roy's fully charged blade does a *BLEEP* load more then Marth's...his attacks also knock people further away. But he sacrifices his power for speed, something Marth makes up for.

Someone can be okay at ANY game when they first play, and the more skilled will always have the advantage...It depends on how much skill is needed to reach the max...Do you actually expect to land Roy's fully charged neutral B? In everything except that and downsmash, Marth knocks back further and does more % damage.

Actually, my point was that because of the sole fact that so many people just choose whatever character they like the best and play with said character, I highly doubt that SSBM was originally created to be a skill-type fighting game like Mortal Kombat and such. Note the word originally.