xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
LolliPop

Your Favorite Herbal Remedies

I heard about the garlic has some good properties but I don't know if is true :( , I also know the Chamomile Tea can use as a digestive and the mentha piperita (yerbebuena in spanish) tea is good when you can sleep :)

I see this is an old post, but this is one of my favorite topics so I hope the moderators don't mind me dregging this one back up.I take a lot of herbs and supplements. I really think they keep me going. Some years ago I actually had a doctor (well, ok, a chriopractor) advise me to take raw adreanel gland supplents for my asmatha. I was having frequent attacks, 2 or 3 times a week. It made a huge difference, cutting me back to maybe once a week. I eventually discovered the cause and eliminated it and have had only minor problems since. For pain from injuries, especially bumps and bruises, zinc helps. Female problems some years ago were fixed right up with Black Cohosh. While he hates popping pills, my better half has a lot less muscle cramps and spasms if I can get hime to take magniesum/calcium, not a herb of course, but a good supplement nonetheless, and I have to start somewhere with him!I take vitimain E and D in the winter only for the most part, it helps greatly with my dry hide. On a daily basis, I take echinacea, St. Johns wart, and gensing. I had a hard time finding the wart for a long time, and I swear my concentration just vainished and I felt like my brain was turning to mush. When I finally found some again I noticed some irritability after starting to take it again, so I just backed off and took less and skipped days between, until it leveled off. Now at least I can remember my name when I wake up in the morning. As far as I am concerned, the jury is still out on glucosamine& chondroitin. Recently saw a news bit on it, they say it doesn't help, but doesn't hurt either. I really can't tell much difference with or without it. Lots of people swear by it. I still get pretty stiff and sore, but who knows, maybe if I wasn't taking it I couldn't move at all!

That's interesting about the glucosamine, sheepdog. When my dog had surgery on her knee, the doctor prescribed glucosamine tablets for her recovery and said it would help with her recovery and strengthen her joints. I noticed the supplements at Costco and decided to pick them up there since it was much cheaper than pet meds. I started taking it too since I had surgery on my elbow last year after a really bad accident. I noticed that there's less pain and stiffness in my arm. When we forget to give our dog her pills or only do it once a day, she does tend to limp and hobble around a bit. Not that it would stop her from running all over the yard.On the news today, there was a segment about echinacea. Apparently, research has shown that people are less prone to developing a cold and usually recover from a cold at least a day faster than those who didn't take it. I thought that was pretty interesting because previous reports said that echinacea isn't effective.

i don't have a lot of herbs at home, my parents don't even want to plant some. but we have some other things in our garden that i usually use for treating some stuff. before we had aloe vera at home and i use it for my hair (when i still had length on my hair). i was advised to use the meat of the aloe (you get a portion, a leaf as i call it, then remove the green part or slice it in half and the clear, sticky part is the meat), crush it and rub it on your scalp. they say it helps grow more hair, but now i don't believe that anymore :)we also use guava leaves to wash the wounds. actually guava leaves has been used by a lot of local people already in treating wounds. in the provinces and during the old days, they use guava leaves after getting circumcised (they don't have the technology in the provinces, nor doctors, more like quack doctors). basically to treat wounds, you have to get leaves of guava and boil it in water. the "tea" is then used as an antiseptic on the wound.i wanted to buy sage (and probably plant it if possible) to make sage tea. i've read that it's good for those who perspire a lot. i perspire a lot and sometimes it gets distracting. i know perspiration is good for your system to get rid the body of toxins, but i think i perspire too much that i become dehydrated most of the time.

Well, I never thought of rubbing the green goo on my hair! Aloe is sometimes called the burn plant. No home should be without an aloe plant. It does wonders on burns, wether from cooking, or even sun burn. I usually buy Aloe juice by the quart. If you use a harsh mouth wash with alchohol or peroxide, rinsing aftwards with aloe can alleviate the damage to your gums from the drying/burning of the mouthwash. It also works good on eye infections. Not many products are safe to use in the eyes, but it is fine. I use it a lot on dogs, for their eyes. Bug eyed dogs like Shih Tzu's and curly haired dogs like poodles commonly get eye problems and the aloe clears them right up.

One good thing about animal testing, the placebo effect doesn't work on them. They have no idea why you are giving them a pill, so they can't fake feeling better like humans can. I suspect there are benefits to gluc. Like everything else, it may help some and not others. I rarely have a cold. Maybe it's cause of the Ech? My guess is it is more likely due to occasional accidental contact with kennel cough vaccines, lol :)

I have been using mangosteen juice. Dozens of studies demonstrate the incredibly beneficial properties of the mangosteen fruit. Among the most important benefits:

Sustains a healthy cardiovascular system*

The cardiovascular system (or circulatory system) includes the heart, the blood and blood vessels. The importance of maintaining a healthy cardiovascular system cannot be overstated. Because of poor diet and nutrition heart conditions are the number one cause of death and disability in the United States and most European countries.

Supports cartilage and joint function*

Cartilage is a dense connective tissue found in the joints, the rib cage, the ear and the nose. The knee joint, one of the most complex in the body, is more likely to be injured than is any other joint.

Strengthens the immune system*

Inflammation is one of the first responses of the immune system to infection. Symptoms will usually include a redness or swelling, both caused by an increase in blood flow.

Promotes a healthy seasonal respiratory system*

The respiratory tract is a common site for infections. Upper respiratory tract infections are one of the most common infections in the world, accounting for one billion illnesses in the United States annually.

Maintains intestinal health*

The gastrointestinal tract?consisting of the mouth, pharynx, esophagus, stomach and small and large intestines?is a prominent part of the immune system. Gastroenteritis is inflammation of the intestines and is the most common disease of the intestines.

Neutralizes free radicals*

Large molecules with powerful antioxidant properties, like xanthones, may stabilize free radicals. Left uncontrolled, free radicals can damage cells, tissue or DNA.

*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food & Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.

Modern science is only now beginning to understand and explain why the rind of the mangosteen fruit has been so revered for centuries. However, we know this: to benefit from the complete power and nutritional impact of the mangosteen fruit, it should be consumed just as it has been for more than a thousand years?in its whole fruit form.

As early as 1933, studies were conducted to compare the whole fruit to single compound extracts taken from the rind. In 1933, Caius and Mhaskar found that the whole fruit offered more than 60% success rates in boosting and restoring intestinal health. In short, consumption of the whole mangosteen rind delivers benefits far superior to chemical extracts from that same rind.

On-going research continues to find valuable properties and several active phytochemicals have already been identified in the fruit, including:

39 different xanthones ? These powerful phytonutrients demonstrate unique and valuable health properties.

catechins ? The mangosteen rind has been shown to have the same level of this active ingredient as found in green tea.

proanthocyanidins ? The same benefit touted in grapeseed extract, proanthocyanidins are found in efficacious amounts in the whole mangosteen fruit.

While scientific researchers are still working to demonstrate how these phytochemicals work together synergistically, the phytonutrients found in the whole fruit are among the most studied, touted and beneficial in existence today. This much is certain: extracts can never match the incredible spectrum of benefits available in the honored mangosteen fruit.

I have personally had incredible results with joint pain in my knee going away and the inflammation in my gums going away. I feel like I have been able to sleep better and my energy level has increased. Try it, you might like the results.

I also drink tea lot, I never really thought of it as a herbal remedy though, I love the way it tastes. I was thinking more along the lines of using something like lemon juice to the face to fight wrinkles.

I drink green tea and all of other tea's that exists, you can look up online type of teas and what they are useful for, I'm trying to lose some weight so i drink green tea two to three times a day with spelnda so i don't get fat.

HERBAL REMEDIES

GOLDENSEAL

Studies show that this herb has antibiotic action. how to: For tea, 1/2 to 1 teaspoon powdered root per cup, steeped 10 minutes. Up to 2 cups per day.

ROSEHIPS

The "hip" is the part that remains when the petals fall off the flower. Rose hips contain vitamin C.how to: For tea, 2 to 3 teaspoons per cup, steeped 10 minutes. Drink as needed.

CHAMOMILE

This popular beverage herb can calm jangled nerves, relieve stomach distress, prevent ulcers, speed their healing, and help fight infection.how to: For tea, 2 to 3 heaping teaspoons per cup, steeped 10 to 20 minutes. Up to 3 cups per day.

GARLIC

When chewed or chopped, garlic is a potent natural antibiotic; it also has anti-viral properties. It reduces cholesterol and helps prevent the formation of internal blood clots that trigger heart attacks.how to: In food, season to taste. For tea, steep 6 cloves in a cup of cool water for 6 hours.

SLIPPERY ELM BARK

Historically used to soothe sore throats, coughs, and upset stomachs, this beneficial bark is still available in bulk and in herbal cough drops and throat lozenges. how to: For tea, 1 to 3 teaspoons of powdered bark per cup, boiled and simmered 15 minutes. Up to 3 cups per day.

GINSENG

Ginseng stimulates the immune system, helps protect the liver from toxics, and increases stamina. In one animal experiment, it also increased sexual activity. how to: Follow package directions for teas, capsules, tablets, and tinctures.

DANDELION

Despised as a weed, dandelion can help relieve premenstrual bloating. Preliminary studies suggest possible anti-inflammatory effects. how to: For tea, 1/2 ounce dried leaf per cup, steeped 10 minutes. Up to 3 cups per day.

FEVERFEW

Several studies confirm feverfew's value in preventing migraines. how to: Chew two leaves a day, or take a pill or capsule containing 85milligrams of leaf material (feverfew is quite bitter).For tea, 1/2 to 1 teaspoon per cup, steeped 5 to 10 minutes. Up to 2 cups per day.

RASBERRY LEAF

This premier pregnancy herb is widely used to treat morning sickness and uterine irritability, and to help prevent threatened miscarriage. how to: For tea, 1 to 2 teaspoons per cup, steeped 10 minutes. Up to 3 cups per day.

SPEARMINT/PEPPERMINT

For indigestion, try a cup of mint tea after eating.how to: For tea, 1 teaspoon fresh or 2 teaspoons dried per cup, steeped 10 minutes. Reheat if desired. Up to 3 cups per day.For a relaxing bath, fill a cloth bag with a few handfuls of dried or fresh leaves, and run water over it.

COMFREY

This plant contains allantoin, which promotes the growth of new cells and gives it value as a wound treatment. how to: Place a bruised leaf on clean cuts or scrapes. Cover with a bandage. Warning: Do not use internally.

SENNA

This herb is a powerful laxative. Senna tastes terrible, so most herbalists recommend a tincture or a commercial product. To avoid abdominal distress, do not take more than the package directions specify.

UVA URSI

Research has shown that this bitter herb has diuretic and urinary antiseptic effects. Use it in addition to mainstream medical treatment. how to: One teaspoon per cup, boiled 10 minutes. Up to 3 cups per day.

GINGER

Ginger prevents motion sickness and may help prevent the internal blood clots that trigger heart attacks. how to: For motion sickness, take 2 to 3 capsules of 500 milligrams 30 minutes before departure. For tea, 2 teaspoons powdered or grated root per cup, steeped 10 minutes. Up to 3 cups per day. Ginger is also useful for lower back pain from muscular fatigue. Use in a massage oil with Lavender and Marjoram. Use 12-15 eo drops per 1oz. carrier oil.

CHINESE EPHEDRA

Commonly used to treat colds and asthma, Chinese ephedra (Ma Huang) can also raise blood pressure and cause insomnia and other problems.warning: Prior to using Chinese ephedra, seek advice from a health care practitioner, especially if you arepregnant or nursing. It should not be given to children under 13.

LICORICE

Licorice can soothe sore throats and treat ulcers. how to: For sore throat, add a pinch of root to tea. For ulcers, 1/2 teaspoon of powder per cup, boiled 10 minutes. Up to 2 cups per day. warning: Large doses can be dangerous.

BASIL

Basil is a stimulating and antidepressant oil which relieve mental fatigue, clears the mind, and improves concentration. It is expectorant and antiseptic, used for all types of chest infections, also good for congested sinuses, chronic colds, head colds and whooping cough. The antispasmodic and carminative properties of basil help to relieve abdominal pains, indigestion, and vomiting. It works well on tired muscles, especially in massage oil used after hard physical work or strenuous exercise, it also eases arthritis and gout. It is reputed to be one of the best nerve tonics among all essential oils.

These examples spring to mind.For toothache - until you can get to a dentist - Ground Cloves, a pinch tucked into the mouth by the affected gum.Muscle Relaxant - Kava Root, ground and prepared as a cold-pressed tea not heated. Warning: The pulp does not digest well and is a general muscle relaxant. Treat like a sleep aid and be sure to set aside time to regain dexterity before being active again.Congestion - Cayenne Pepper, a pinch in 1/4 c. warm water, gargle and spit. Follow with a piece of buttered bread for the tender of mouth.Upset tummy/gas - any mint tea. Also relaxes the esophogus flap and eases burping.