xisto Community
[i]_R_Crazy_Idiot

Planning To Purchase Laptop in the future

If I were you, I'd get the Dell Inspiron 700m or Dell Inspiron 6000(d). They are pretty lightwieght and cheap and they also are very powerful. If you don't care about money and wieght, get the Dell Inspiron XPS, one of the most powerful notebooks around.PS - I hate Dell... but they do have the best laptops

How much are you planning to spend? If you want lightweight and good battery life then Vaio. I know a Sony Vaio just came out 2 days ago and has a battery life of 7.5 hours! Not only that, it is only 2.6 pounds! THe down side is that it carries a large price tag of 3000 dollars!

Firstly, it is important for us to know what is the range of cost you can afford or you are willing to spend in buying a laptop. That will tell alot. Because there are dozens of laptops to choose from even in a price range within $200 difference. Sony Vaio is one of the best, lightweight and very strong in performance, but thinkpad are great too. Post more information.

I firmly believe in value for money to quite a large extent. i.e. you pay for what you get or you get what you paid for. I'm acutally using a Dell Inspiron 700m now and my Dad's using a Lattitude (new model but can't remember the model no.) All I can say is that the lattitude looks more professional and sleak but everything else is the same. SO if you are getting a dell laptop which you SHOULD then get an inspirton it is cheaper and that's because it doesn't look so sleak (so the pay for what you get thing still works here).Anyway, enough said here's what's good about the Dell Inspiron, its cheap, its widescreen, the functionality is good and for goodness sake, I think Dell has one of the best on site services around. At least in my part of the world. The graphics are good and so are the specs. The only problem (which doesn't exist on the lattitude btw) is the fact that the screen is not trans reflective. Design wise, I think the design of the 700m is not too bad. Battery life? ok mine's about 4 plus hours on the 8 cell Lit - ion battery, So I was extremely suprised to here that Sony Vaio has a battery life of 7.5 hours! how do they do that?

acer travelmate series is really good,e.g. 4102cli with very coool performance.it owns 1.73MHZ cpu(sonoma) 40G HDD 15.4"LCD 512Ram...approximate price is 1,000 us$.certainly i still like my neat laptop 13.3"TFT LCD,ease much!

acer travelmate series is really good,e.g. 4102cli with very coool performance.it owns 1.73MHZ cpu(sonoma) 40G HDD 15.4"LCD 512Ram...approximate price is 1,000 us$.

certainly i still like my neat laptop 13.3"TFT LCD,ease much!

189247[/snapback]

I'm using that exact brand right now to respond to your post. It is a magnificent laptop, but your price is off.

I got this one for only $550, after rebates. Circuit City sold it to me. I haven't had a single problem with it, so far. Very durable...I left it in my car for a few days, and I live in Georgia...where the in-car temperature can be over 130 degrees...enough to fry any laptop in my experience.

But this one is working just fine. =P

It's a bit on the heavy side (7-10 pounds), but the price was enough to make me not care. Better then waiting to buy a $2800 Vaio. :ph34r:

Acer is good with laptops, so is Toshiba. As of now, something with a Sonoma CPU, 1gb of ram, 80gb hdd, wifi + ATI mobility X600 would be very powerful but also have decent battery life and portability.

If I were you, I'd get the Dell Inspiron 700m or Dell Inspiron 6000(d). They are pretty lightwieght and cheap and they also are very powerful. If you don't care about money and wieght, get the Dell Inspiron XPS, one of the most powerful notebooks around.

PS - I hate Dell... but they do have the best laptops

189141[/snapback]

I personally know at least four people who have bought Dell products that overheated way too often. On the web, it says that as many as 1000 Dell SmartStep notebooks have been recalled due to complaints about overheating.

Also, if I were you, I'd get one of them new-fangled tablet PC's. They're lightweight, thin (unless you dock it), and most can be used with a stylus like a PDA. Most tablet PC's have advanced features but many models are way too featureless, since they have almost no ports for external monitor, parallel connection to printer, etc.

Anyways, I'd recommend either Hewlett Packard or eMachines, because I don't know if some of the better brands are available where you live.

-Frederick Ding

...mine's about 4 plus hours on the 8 cell Lit - ion battery, So I was extremely suprised to here that Sony Vaio has a battery life of 7.5 hours! how do they do that?

189231[/snapback]

Well, nobody could really tell you because it's probably a company secret or some proprietary mechanism. Also, Dell notebooks consume lots of energy due to their inefficient cooling.

Anyways, I'd recommend either Hewlett Packard or eMachines, because I don't know if some of the better brands are available where you live.

HPs is probably the worst computer brand I've ever dealt with. They may be cheap, but you're seriously getting your moneys worth...and it's not a good thing. The computer practically slows to a halt after the first few months of use and the fans die out rather quickly on the desktops. I've even had a processor fail while the fan was working fine, which was a $700 computer in the trash after only 7 months of use. Chirst, I still have a Pentinum 2 that runs fine that was made by Axer back when they existed.

eMachines are rather reliable though. They may not be a Vaio or SuperJesusComputer9000, but they're reliable and quite cheap. I've never had a problem with the desktop I'm using now and my dad is using an eMachine laptop that I reccommended him some 6 months ago. No problems what-so-ever.

Ive got a dell inspiron 8200 works nicely but little under powered now after u get eveything installed and evyething runs... but it works...If you want something with battery life and dont care for a price or anything macs are decent my frind has one he gets like 7 hours of usefull hours so while using it and then he gets like 2 days in sleep its crazy but heh...If you want preformance depends on for what too?Gaming - Alienware (they designed these laptops specificaly for gaming...)Other - Dell stuff should work fine

Ok i did some more reserch lately and its turned out taht the best laptops are... i belive dell's stuff well at least how much you pay for the stuff in it lol...While alien ware has goos stuff but over charges a little...i can prove this by the deal they have for a nvidia somtin 256 mb 3700 or w/e for duel of those it is 990 or so and for 1 it is 368 lol...um but overall for a laptop i would go for a mac cause they are just better but wait a month or 2 cause they are switching from ibm to intel lol...so theres my 3 cents... cuase i alreayd posated to its not 2 cents lol...

Dell XPS is amazing!One of the most powerful gaming laptops they have ever done, and it can run ANY gamebut it would set you back about ?2000+they offer a lot of adons as well upto 500GB HD