xisto Community
wild20

Halloween And Christians Its origin and, should we celebrate it?

But Goldinero, Christmas and Easter were not rooted in Satanic origins. I myself believe it is okay to celebrate Christmas as a Thanksgiving time. Being thankful for the things the Lord has given us. Easter however, is a direct relation to Christ's rising. That I know is accurate, even if some people also celebrated it as a pagan holiday.Another thing to remember is that while having that strong relationship with Christ, it is important to know that we are to follow His commandments and remember, "What Would Jesus Do?". Would He really dres up in a ghost costume, when He Himself says that the dead are dead until His second coming and that the dead know nothing? Than why does it stand to reason that we should do that and expect Him to be smiling down at the wonderful time we are having celebrating Halloween?Would you really dress up if Jesus was there? What if you knocked at a door, and Jesus was there, and He asked why there is so much evil, why there is looting, and witches, and goblins and monsters, things that don't exist, but you are trying to impersonate them? It seems to me that I would be standing there pretty red in the face as I look down realizing that I myself am in a suit that doesn't quite fit a Christian.All I can say to your reply is that you are saying it is okay to celebrate Halloween as long as you are making sure it doesn't make anydiffernce to your kids. Take a look at Halloween. Then come back and tell me that it adds to your spiritual life.

Yes I think christmas should be celebrated but not the way it is being celebrated.Even though its fun for the little kids to believe christmas is all about santa claus and reindeers,their parents should at least let them know its the day jesus was born and he told santa to give them the gifts or something.And for halloween I think people really take it out of context.Do you really think we would make a holiday to serve the devil.Its just a time of fun for us kids to rot of teeth and junk like that.I do think trick or treating is bad because they could poison that candy or put razor blazes in the apple or poison or anythin.They should go to a church for candy or w/e is safe.They announce places on the radio where you can go thats safe.But most of us teens dont trick or treat or anything because I wanna go to sloss furnace this halloween.Sloss furnace is like a metal plant that was shut down after workers started dieing on the job and they started seeing ghostly beings.It was closed for a few years and they open it every halloween for kids to go in and they have people chasing them which chainsaws and knifes they seems real.

I am now 25 years old and I have never been trick or treating. Yes I am a Christian and I don't believe in celebrating all these man made holidays. I think my mother did a hell of a job raising me and my siblings. I will take a page from my moms book and not allow my kids to go trick or treating either. We have funerals to remember and celebrate the dead there is no need for a holiday such as halloween. This is my own personal opinion. I feel like to each his own because I am no one to judge.

Thanks Dymond. Your mom did do a great job raising you.As you said Acidify, you go to a scary or "spooky" place, where people thought they saw dead people (just a myth of course), and where you can be chased around by fake knives and chainsaws to make it more realistic. Yup, it sounds pretty dark and spiritualistic to me. That is why I think that Halloween has turned into something that people use to celebrate, unknowingly, the dead. Think about folks. In all the windows are skeletons, witches, and goblins. Spirits and ghosts. I still hold my argument that Halloween is satanic.Halloween may be a time for fun, but so is stealing, graffiti, and vandalism to some people. You are just having fun in a way that proves to be satanic in my opinion. It should not be celebrated by Christians. No one so far says it is fine with God and that He is sitting up there watching with a smile as you dress up as a witch. Can anyone say that? I don't think so.

Galahad I totally agree with you! I think that with heloween it is the same as with harry potter! All those thing are made to entertain and not to spread evil or something...Even if you are a cristian you shouldn't just blindly follow something that someone who is also christian says! you should listen to your own heart, because GOD is in everyone of us in the same amount and we ourselves know the best if something is good or bad! If heloween makes yuo feel bad and you find it evil than don't support it and if you heart tells you it is ok, than enjoy it!I think that is the only thing that we should consider here!What you feel in the deepest part of your heart, that is GOD in you!

So what if you feel that stealing si okay deep in your heart Heavensounds? Would it be okay then? I have been closely following this topic and find that most of you who say it is okay, back your defence by saying that you are doing what you feel is right. But, may I counter that argument by asking if your way is always the right way?So many people feel that as long as they think it is fun or is something that they feel is,..right, then it is okay. Learn, by listening to others and their arguments. If they present a worthy argument and evidence, then research and follow up. I think you will find that Halloween is not all what you think it is. You guys should at least be researching to see if it is a worthy holiday for Christians to celebrate. But instead you jump to the conclusion that I am wrong, and that I am legalistic and fanatical. I research everything I hear and think that you are not looking enough for yourslves. You see Christians everywhere celebrate it, saying that it is okay. It is like a chain reaction.Please, for your own sake, before you post a reply on your opinion, at least check out on the internet and see for yourself what Halloween is about. I will await your responses.

Guess what? I was raise by a Christian family, learned in a Christian school. In the school, I went to chapel EVERYDAY. They had no problems with halloween. The priests, even asked us what we wore for halloween. It is just a time for fun, and not to worship the devil or anything. During the time, the meaning of halloween has changed. I don't see anything wrong with it, except dress up and get some candy.

a lot of my catholic and chris friends dress up and go trick or treating, even though their like 18. But most of just walk around and throw eggs. Only some catholics think they shouldn't have halloween, but most enjoy it. If the people who don't want to celabrate, then just post a keep out sign dont open your door and that day

Alright, I'm starting to come round to your way of thinking, wild20. I still think you're a little over-the-top in your thinking here, though. You have to understand that something isn't refined by what a dictionary or website says it is. It's defined by what people think it is. People don't see Halloween as an opportunity to worship the dead or evil spirits or anything else. They just see it as an opportunity for children to dress up and get sweets, as the majority of posts in this discussion suggests. I agree that God might not be entirely happy about Christians dressing up as witches and stuff, though.(P.S. As far as I know JK Rowling never practiced witchcraft in her "research" of the Harry Potter books. She says (and she's the only one who'll really know) she got the idea on long train journey from Edinborough to London and the characters and plots formed in her head then. She didn't go out with the intention of turning children into witches and wizards any more than George Lucas wanted to turn people into Jedi by releasing the Star Wars films.)

NoveTerra, just remember that even priests and pastors fail and that the majority of people thinking one way doesn't always make it right. I have only a couple problems with Halloween. I have nothing against the day itself, just the celebration and holiday. When you go out into the streets, and you see, skeletons, witches, cobwebs hanging from the door with awful faces peeking out, can you honestly tell me you are praising God for such a religious and uplifting holiday? Or our you more thinking about, the dark and spooky areas? The answer is clear, Halloween has that, mystery, that part of us who likes to go out and get scary. Your mind is never focused on God, but instead, it takes you away from God and puts you into a reality of darkness. That is why I don't agree with it!And yhcln1, again, why do you do something just because everyone alse does. People are strange under the peer pressure of seeing everyone doing something, but then having to explain why they don't do it themselves. Are you afraid of the ridicule you will get? I don't think we are looking practical here guys. We are thinking too much of the here, and the now.wakelim: I am a litle over-the-top on some things. Maybe even here. But the reason is because I saw a little problem, I went deeper, and saw that the little problem I saw with something, was actually quite big. And that it could be leading Christians toward a not-so-good state. Compromise creeps. Ever so slowly that we don't realize it. It starts with maybe a little fun on Haloween, not really celebrating it, but just something small. That is the first compromise, and from my experience as a Christian I know it is the deadliest. It has now taken you to the point where you are willing to go a step further. As you go further the hole your in gets deeper until you yourself find that you are putting up the skeletons and witches in your yard and dressing up as a witch or goblin to go out and see what Halloween is really like.I don't intirely agree with what you say. Something is not refined by what the people think, but by what God says it is. People also get mixed up thinking to. I have many issues to cover over the next few months. But I will stick with this one for now. If you think, a little more about Halloween, an read what I just stated, then you may be able to "refine" your thinking, and see what Halloweeen is really about. It often takes guys like me and you, who look at a problem, and say, something is wrong here. And then instead of sitting back and watching, do something about it. I am not sure about the harry potter books, but if it could lead people astray, then don't write bout it. Somethings are needed, some aren't. "Your are either raising people up, or tearing them down". (Quote from my wonderful mother:)

Somethings are needed, some aren't. "You are either raising people up, or tearing them down"

This is turning slightly into a "Harry Potter and Christians" debate, but it does apply to Halloween too in a way. Maybe these things are perfectly normal things in the world around us that can be turned to either "good" or "evil" depending on how you act on them or view them. After all, isn't that what the devil does best? Turning normal and innocent things into something distruptive. In the same way, though, God can turn these things into positive things (as I mentioned above about New Year). Mostly, I agree with you, though.

Thanks wakelim. I just believe that God gave a us a standards to live by. We have dropped those standards. We would have never of celebrated Halloween with the celts in October. But a majority of Christians actually keeps this "holiday" alive. If I can't do something with god standing there next to me, then I should try to avoid it.Harry Potter has turned children away from the faith and therefore should be considered a threat to our spiritual lives. I know it is a little of subject but it is just what happens. Some things are good, some bad, but if originated from satanic origins, then we should stay away from it.

You know I have a tonne of arguments against some peoples claims...

QUOTE(Saint_Michael)
its a holiday dude

Err, not really. If it's a holiday you would have a day off from school/work. When was the last time there was a day off on hallowe'en?

We are having a day off at our college on Monday 31st October, which should be good.
I don't really think halloween has anything to do with christians though? Just a day to remember all the spooky goings on that happened in the past.

Hmmm, I'm not sure. Anyway, was just letting you know that I'm actually one of the lucky people who gets a day off on halloween :)