xisto Community
fsastraps

Linux From Scratch Need some help

Gentoo is alot better than LFS. Gentoo has the portage system where you can install software with it.
If you want to start from stage1, the bootstrapping script should take you to stage2.
If you want to start from stage2(or you've bootstrapped your system)

emerge -e system
should take care of you till stage3.
On stage3 follow the instruction in the Gentoo Handbook and you should not have any problem with installing your gentoo system(if you don't have alot of time, go for a binary linux since compiling from source took a LONG LONG time)

Link to the Gentoo Handbook : Gentoo Handbook

well i mean, i got the kernel compiled, but the only thing that doesnt work is the internet connection, i have the ehternet cable plugged in, and i guess the problem is that it doesnt detect the card.But i got it up and running with out the cd. Do you have any ideas?

well i mean, i got the kernel compiled, but the only thing that doesnt work is the internet connection, i have the ehternet cable plugged in, and i guess the problem is that it doesnt detect the card.

But i got it up and running with out the cd.  Do you have any ideas?

188548[/snapback]

Run ifconfig and post your results.

Try this

ifconfig -a

If the result shows loopback and -you_network_card- then the kernel detects your network card ok. If you use DHCP, maybe you haven't got a DHCP client.

If the result shows only loopback, recompile the kernel with your network card enable. Another cause for this is that the modules for the card is not loaded, in this case simply load the kernel module.

Notice from snlildude87:
Edited as requested

Edited by snlildude87 (see edit history)