xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Styx

Technology That Could Have Helped In Katrina hand held thunderbolt detector

Now here's a pretty nifty device...a hand held thunderbolt detector!!

"Next time you go out on a dark and stormy night, you might want to bring along a safety net. Spectrum Electronics Thunderbolt Storm Detector is a handheld, portable device that detects storm and lightning activity from over 75 miles away and then warns you about the storms distance, approach speed, intensity, and estimated arrival time. This sort of device might have been super handy for victims of Hurricane Katrina, but its even more practical for those with the means of quickly escaping these types of storms. And since it displays over 50 warning text messages, youll know of every potential hazard well before things get rough."

might need to get myself one!!

Notice from dundun2007:
This is a products description copied word for word. If you copy and paste things from a source put it in quotes!

Edited by dundun2007 (see edit history)

it does help a person but not a community. You can not move your house away from the path of a destructive hurricane like Katrina. The reality is becuase of global warming this kind of nature activity will be more often.

well of course the best technology is the warm people to get out, that is the best technology.

It sounds like a good idea, but I think it would come down to the price. The cost of the device would be impractical for some people, so they wouldn't buy one and the problem would still be there. The best idea would be to warn people (and by that, I mean the whole community), but even then they would need the money to be able to get out.

Now here's a pretty nifty device...a hand held thunderbolt detector!!

"Next time you go out on a dark and stormy night, you might want to bring along a safety net. Spectrum Electronics Thunderbolt Storm Detector is a handheld, portable device that detects storm and lightning activity from over 75 miles away and then warns you about the storms distance, approach speed, intensity, and estimated arrival time. This sort of device might have been super handy for victims of Hurricane Katrina, but its even more practical for those with the means of quickly escaping these types of storms. And since it displays over 50 warning text messages, youll know of every potential hazard well before things get rough."

might need to get myself one!!

185292[/snapback]

I think if they built one of these things they would have a home unit first.

This sort of device might have been super handy for victims of Hurricane Katrina, but its even more practical for those with the means of quickly escaping these types of storms.

as if the people of New Orleans hadn't been warned ... just about everyone knew it was coming, even without such a thing. The problem was just that most people didn't have any means of escaping and there was next to no governmental support (be it from the city's, state or federal gov)...

anyways, I don't think I'll buy such a device or even carry it around with me all the time - with some experience on the weather at your place you can tell when a storm is approaching even without a computer in your hand...

yea well whats the price check on something like that? Even if it was cheaper i dont think people would bother picking one up. They thought that this would never happen to them so they all didnt prepare. The hurricane Rita people are taking alot more seriously and are moving people out and getting prepare for the worst case. The only thing that they really could of done better is have a plan and been prepared. They should of all been out of there before it got too bad. New Orleans was below sea level so this was bound to happen sometime. They say that in about 40 years that New Orleans will be part of the Gulf anyways people of the rise of the water. So i dont know what the future holds but they should know by now that another hurricane could cause just as much damage.

There was a story on the news last night about this guy that owns some kind of company that makes the absorbant powder in some dipers. He has come to the conclusion that 5 Boeing 747's filled with this absorbant powder could downgrade a category five hurricane to a tropical storm in a matter of hours by dumping the powder on top of the eye. This powder turns water into a non-toxic, harmless gel that can be dissolved back into water in a few weeks. The company's theory is backed by many colleges, and leaders in the U.S. Congress. They say that it would cost about 80 million dollars to outfit the planes, and produce the powder. Critics on the news around where I live say it's too expensive, but can you really put a price on human lives that could be saved by this process?