xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
taplinb

Disable "network" To Speed Norton Av At Work How to ease life with Symantec/Norton AV

I learned last year that if Symantec AV 7.6 or 9 is left at its defaults on Win2K then access in Windows Exploder to a Samba or Win2K share can be slower, especially if the dir is big.When I open SAV's Configure -> File System AutoProtect (or Real-time) -> Advanced, and change it from scanning files that are opened, moved, copied, run, or created (the default) to just scanning files that are modified/created, file access performance jumps in a big way.The registry hack below disabled the checkbox automatically for our default, unmanaged Windows 2000 configs with Norton AV 6 (Unmanaged, Defaults).Of course always test registry hacks in a non-production environment. I have not tested atop XP nor with SAV9.-Brad----- Win2K hack: nav76expldrfix.reg ---Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\INTEL\LANDesk\VirusProtect6\CurrentVersion\Storages\Filesystem\RealTimeScan]"Reads"=dword:00000000"DenyAccess"=dword:00000002"Execs"=dword:00000001