xisto Community
sandbox

The Uniform Server php, perl, apache, and mySQL for Win32

Hi folks, nice place you've got here. I hope to stick around for a while. Hopefully this topic is new. I checked the archives and didn't see a match.

I ran across a bundle of php, perl, apache, mySQL, and phpMyAdmin, and I must say that it rocks. Once this baby is installed you are four mouse clicks away from a gui to a live mySQL database. Okay, so you have to count a double-click as a single click, and I'm not including opening the folder, but that's still not too bad.

It easily fits on even the smallest of USB drives, and executes without fanfair or complaint as a mobile package. Check it out:

http://www.uniformserver.com/

Uniform Server is similar to Apache2Triad. I like Apache2Triad more though. It come with a lot more features and software. Like, it has phpmyadmin, a couple mail servers, and a bunch of pre-installed php sites like phpNuke. Also, this bundle has a ftp server included which is very handy.

Heres a little list of some of the main stuff included(this is from their site):
Servers

" *Apache
*MySql
*OpenSSL
*Xmail
*SlimFTPd

-------------------

Interpreters

*PHP
*Perl
*Python
*TCL"

For more info and where to get it, go here: http://apache2triad.net/

xJedix

Uniserver is good APM server kit. It is easy to install and configure.But it does not support modRewrite. So it is not usefull for advanced PHP page generation techniques.

Thanks for the feedback. Just to clarify, Uniserver does, in fact, come pre-loaded with myPHPadmin. There are also some plugins for the default instillation to include things like an FTP server, but the list of plugins is not large. Also, I haven't tried the plugins yet.

Apache2triad looks like a nice option though, when I get a USB key with more storage space. For installation of more complete packages I use cygwin.

Uniserver is good APM server kit. It is easy to install and configure.

But it does not support modRewrite. So it is not usefull for advanced PHP page generation techniques.

184201[/snapback]

I haven't tried to install wordpress yet, but I think it automatically adds the entries to the .htaccess files that you need to turn mod Rewrite on. Otherwise, you can just turn it on yourself, right? IANAE, and I haven't tried to use mod rewrite with uniserver yet.

Thanks again.

I think XAMPP is best solution. It's really easy to install and it comes for a variety of operating systems:

XAMPP for Linux

The distribution for Linux systems (tested for SuSE, RedHat, Mandrake and Debian) contains: Apache, MySQL, PHP & PEAR, Perl, ProFTPD, phpMyAdmin, OpenSSL, GD, Freetype2, libjpeg, libpng, gdbm, zlib, expat, Sablotron, libxml, Ming, Webalizer, pdf class, ncurses, mod_perl, FreeTDS, gettext, mcrypt, mhash, eAccelerator, SQLite and IMAP C-Client.

XAMPP for Windows

The distribution for Windows 98, NT, 2000 and XP. This version contains: Apache, MySQL, PHP + PEAR, Perl, mod_php, mod_perl, mod_ssl, OpenSSL, phpMyAdmin, Webalizer, Mercury Mail Transport System for Win32 and NetWare Systems v3.32, JpGraph, FileZilla FTP Server, mcrypt, eAccelerator, SQLite, and WEB-DAV + mod_auth_mysql.

XAMPP for Mac OS X

The distribution for Mac OS X contains: Apache, MySQL, PHP & PEAR, SQLite, Perl, ProFTPD, phpMyAdmin, OpenSSL, GD, Freetype2, libjpeg, libpng, zlib, Ming, Webalizer, mod_perl, eAccelerator, phpSQLiteAdmin.

XAMPP for Solaris

The distribution for Solaris (developed and tested with Solaris 8, tested with Solaris 9) contains: Apache, MySQL, PHP & PEAR, Perl, ProFTPD, phpMyAdmin, OpenSSL, Freetype2, libjpeg, libpng, zlib, expat, Ming, Webalizer, pdf class.

You can get XAMPP from https://www.apachefriends.org/index.html.

Cheers!