xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
grrlfromoz

Painted Lady a poem

Painted LadyThe Painted Lady standsTall on the hill--Curtained eyes,A great disguiseDark windows to her soul.Light flickers deep insideFlipping channelsOne at a time,Looking for some distraction, aSafe place to hide.Buring eyes in shadowLinger in my mind. ACold wind blows, andNo one knowsJust what secrets we both see

cryptic... but i like it. :) who is the painted lady that inspired this?i guess i'd have to seek from west to east.but if grrlfromoz can whisper it soon to me,then i'll be troubled no more with this mystery.:)

oh very nice lib2day *claps* hehe In class they said the same thing too, "cryptic." I'll give you a hint though. The term "Painted Lady" refers to one of two things: 1) The high end- Victorian homes, usually three stories with ornate decorative color designs. 2) The low end- a female prostitute. Either meaning, I think, is interchangable within this poem. It's up to the reader to decide which interpretation they prefer.

#2 crossed my mind... #1 i hardly can visualize (a not too common sight in thesemodern times :rolleyes:). #2 adds more textured interpretation for me, the "painted lady" being an animate being as opposed to a victorian "painted lady" which is a totalinanimate thing. (but then again, walls [in houses, even victorian ones] are mutewitnesses [or so they say] to its occupants' history, and they do tell stories, too.)a painted lady,in a painted lady...sighs...the painted lady,where the painted lady resides...cries.:angry: