xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
kakingho

English Language Question im hong kong student

the british always confuse things when it comes to spelling and their own little slang words.

proper british english bah, no wonder we beat you guys back in the revolutionary war. :lol

Saint_Michael, isn't it ironic/illogical that you say that English people don't know how to speak English. Surely we should set the rules of our own language? :) I don't understand some of the American slang, either. It's just cross-cultural. If I was being sly, however, I would point out that English is generally more logical. e.g. You say bathroom and we say toilet. We do use bathroom, but only when the room has a bath (or at least a shower/jacozi/other in in there, not just a cubicle).

BTW, back to the number things. I would say:
1: 368,892,123
Three hundred and sixty-eight million, eight hundred and ninty-two thousand, one hundred and twenty-three.
2: 368,092,003
Three hundred and sixty-eight million, ninety-two thousand, and three.

Red represents something incorrect

Green respresents something correct

yesh........ i think i'm learning british :)

See some people do still learn the good, correct version of english :D

Add ands after hundreds:

13 ==> wouldn't be one and three but thirteen

113 ==> would be one hundred and thirteen

103 ==> would be one hundred and three

And if all the hundreds have the value of 0, then you add and in before the tens and units:

1,000,003 ==>wouldn't be one million three

1,000,003 ==> would be one million and three

1,000,703 ==>wouldn't be one million and seven-hundred and three

1,000,703 ==> would be one million, seven-hundred and three

On the final example the hundreds column had a value of 1 or more so and was added after the hundreds instead of before.

I think that sums it up pretty well even though I got confused by the end of it :)

183526[/snapback]

thx.....i understand more now ^O^

but how about

1,703,703 ??

1,003,003 - One Million, Three Thousand and three1,003,703 - One Million, Three Thousand Seven Hundered and three1,703,703 - One million, Seven Hundered and three thousand, seven hundred and three

Great~~~!!

Thanks for all~~

i know how to use english to say great no. now :)

really thanks for all of ur helpsSSss :):):D

no problem, i think this topics need to be close before we all get out of hand.but on the topic of the english language, yeah i concur that the english language is well unqiue to the point that alot of words meaning the same thing can be the oppopsite as well, along with the fact that adding a letter or taking letter could change it drasticaly, but then you have look at pronouncation and the root words and how it sounds.we should create topic in the debate section and see what people think about the english language as a whole and in all forms that it takes.