xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
adriantc

I Hate Computer Hardware! Still i love computers...

Today, just 2 weeks before my planed total system upgrade my video card finally died (more of a coma if you ask me). Of course it was an AGP one and my planed one would be PCIx, but I also planned to sell it not for a few $. But as it seems fate has other planes for me. I'm now running on a nvidia riva tnt2 32mb. I don't want to make any negative publicity for the company but I thought Leadtek is one of the top companies.Anyway this wouldn't hate the hardware part so much if it weren't the second time a componet dies when you need it more. Last year my PC kept restarting and first I thought it was my HDD because it was a very old one. So I bought a new one. Everything worked great except for the fact that the PC still kept restarting. Anyway I finaly managed to fix the broken part and no PC restarts...but i'm a very very very lucky guy and my new HDD started having problems. If i installed Windows today, exactly the second time I rebooted the pc tomorrow it would give me a critical windows error and a full system crush. At fisrt I didn't realize what it was because I didn't even think that is was my new HDD because it was new. I finally took it to the warranty and after a week those guys said the hdd was fine. Same thing happened at home.... Took it again to the warranty (I was so freaked they won't accept the warranty I even emailed the company that produced the hdd) and I told the guys the hdd had the same problem and that i have taled with the hdd manufactor and that they said they would accept the warranty directly (that was my plan :). So after a month since I took my hdd for the second time to the warranty they finnaly admited the hdd had bad sectors.By now of course my mother was so angry at my because the hdd was expensive and i had this trouble. So today I'm going to take my video card to the warranty office! I can only hope that history doen't repeat it self...Wish me good luck. I just hate the unreliable hardware :)

The DDR RAM of one of my computers died some weeks ago. It is an old piece of RAM, 512MB, DDR2700, of Samsung chips and RAMBO assembly. The computer became very unstable prior to the failure. I had thought that it was the video card or the hard disk, but ultimately the machine failed to boot up and there was no screen at all. I changed the video card with that of another computer, but the computer still refused to boot up. The sound it gave out was really frightening. Then I checked the Internet, and they suggest that there might be something wrong with the RAM. So I changed the RAM with that of another computer and then everything was fine again. The RAM was only in service for three years, not long compared with those of my other computers. I have four computers, the oldest one is still using 2x128MB PC133 RAM (5 years ago? PQI RAM, chips from Elpida) and it is working fine. Samsung lost most of its market in RAM, Hard disk and DVD writers, perhaps it has to do with its quality. Hardware problem can be tricky. Perhaps, the most unreliable gadget in a computer is the hard disk. Ironically, it is the most important part. If your CPU dies, you can get a new one. If your hard disk fails, most of your data will be lost. There is still no brand of hard disk that I can trust. My 160GB Western Digital dies in a 10 month time. My friend?s 160GB Seagate fails also in ten months. The longest working hard disk is a Hitachi / IBM, but its speed drops drastically compared to 3 years ago. I may have to try Maxtor next time.

i feel you on that, i had the pleasure of going through 3 hard drives on my laptop computer in 2 years time, so i feel you with that.

I see such casualties every day. Not mine actually. But my friend’s and client’s systems.You have to be very brave to see your faithful pet dieing in parts :-)The good news is that I have given new life to many of such systems.And won’t believe but a 486 system is also in list of survivors.

I see such casualties every day. Not mine actually. But my friends and clients systems.
You have to be very brave to see your faithful pet dieing in parts :-)

The good news is that I have given new life to many of such systems.

And wont believe but a 486 system is also in list of survivors.

You are right! But that is usually because the old stuff were less mass produced so they could easily check the quality. These days they produce so much there is no way they can check even half of their hardware before it leaves the factory.
Not to mention the fact that old stuff are very reliable before new stuff tend to push technology to it's limit and sometimes over the limit.

I always have problems with hardware, mainly just my pc sounding like a Jet Engine, but other than that its been fine recently.Ive had alot of graphics and PSU problems. Had to replace both eventually, and it cost alot.Damn hardware.

I have some not good at all news on the state of my Leadtek nVIDIA FX 5700 video card. The guys from the warranty shop just called me yesterday to tell me that the video card is just ok. Damn! I hate living in romania! This could only happen in my country! They don't respect the customer at all... :P They treat us as if we haven't paid for that expensive video card, as if they are doing us a favor. Anyway I'm supposed to go tomorrow to take my "ok" video card at home. I already told them all my problems with the monitor not waking up from standby, restarting my computer as often as every minute. I even told them that my computer with an ancient riva tnt2 hasn't rebooted or malfunctioned at all. But they don't listen. I told them that if on monday i take my video card at home and if it is still not working i'll be calling their boss again.I'm starting to feel stupid. Why? Because when I bought the video card from the same company just after my hdd incident my father told me that he hopes I won't have problems with it.Damn hardware but most important damn those incapable computer companies.