xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
krap

Buying A Computer Good deal or not?

Well i need a computer for some quite basic stuff like browsing the web, music, videos and playing some games but not really good ones. I want to run windows xp on it. I found a quite cheap one(below) Will it be able to handle everything i want to do and am i being ripped off?

Primo" AMD Sempron 64 2600 1.6GHz DDR System (FS-004-AS)

A compact PC system offering quite incredible value, the Primo AMD Sempron 64 1.6GHz is built around the popular Asus Vintage-AE1 DDR Desktop Barebones System. Providing more performance than most people will ever need the Primo is ideal for home or office use. Whilst the price is low the Primo uses only the very best hardware.

- AMD Sempron 64 2600 1.6GHz Retail CPU with 128KB L2 Cache

- AMD Sempron approved CPU Cooler

- 256MB OcUK PC3200 DDR Memory

- Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 8 40GB 2MB Cache Hard Drive

- 52X CD-ROM

- 3 1/2 Inch Floppy Drive

- On-Board 2D/3D Graphics

- On-Board AC'97 Audio

- Integrated 10/100Mbps LAN

- 250W PSU

The Primo can be supplied assembled with or without your choice of installed operating system but is supplied without keyboard, mouse, speakers or monitor (all of which are available elsewhere in this on-line store). The operating system prices listed below are in addition to the system price.

Price:  ?189.95  (?223.19 Including VAT at 17.5%)

And heres a picture. I think it looks quite nice :)

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/

I noticed the URL of the image address has vintage in it? Is it?

:)

Thanks is advance

Andr?

If you are talking about some basic use of the computer then this computer will be good enough....but the only thing which I am worried about the RAM because it is only 256 MB, if at all you can get RAM of 512 MB then your computer will run faster and will stay for longer..I mean you will not feel that your computer is outdated soon. :)

whats the price tag to it, the specs look like its a older computer model, and the way the pic looks makes it look even older then that, but if you buying it used then fine but if it is brand you could get a better deal somewhere else with better specs.

OK, I would suggest getting some more RAM than 256MB, you might have some problems running a couple of applications at once, at it could run a little slow. Ł223 is good money for that PC, but I would still suggest getting a better PC if your budget can stretch to it. The on-board graphics are not really any good for playing games, I made that mistake a few years ago :)

For an extra Ł16 you can get:

AMD Sempron 2600 512MB DDR Ram
80GB 7200rpm Hard Drive
Up to 64MB 128-Bit Embedded Graphics
CDRW/DVD Combo Drive
5.1 6-Channel Capable Sound
1 x RJ45 Network Port (10/100)
56K Modem
2 x 5.25" Drive Bays
3 x 3.5" (1xInt, 2xExt) Drive Bays
2 x DDR slots (2GB max)
1 x Parallel Port, 1 x Serial Port
6 x USB2 (2 Front, 4 Back)
1.44MB Floppy Drive

Or an extra Ł100 gets you the Sempron 2800, a DVD burner and 160GB hard disk.

Check out these PCs here.

Tell me if these are no good, or if you need some more advice.

sorry i missed the price up their, but yeah if you plan on doing homework or playing the games already installed on it, you could web design, but not graphic design, I would say get it, but like rvalkass said, look for a better computer i know dell computers that are more hooked up then that and cost the same price as well so try out dell.com and see what they have.

I'm too lazy to convert the Pounds to Dollars, anyone have a rough figure for that?

That's a decent comp if you don't want to do anything special (That means no, image creation (Photoshop, Fireworks), Games (Counter-Srike, all those other internet games you dudes play), Firefox (It'll suck too much memory @ 256, you'll get owned), Mulititasking (Music AND Firefox will make your comp smoke.. lol)

See where I"m going with this? Upgade your ram, go for 512, Upgrade your Processor.. I like AMD, but shoot for a 2800+.

Panda's System :

Custom Laptop - Codename: Bamboo Tree (Yeah its' cool)

Pentium 4 2.8 GHz w/ Hyper-Threading Technology

2x 512 MB ram

Integrated : Gigabit Ethernet, 802.11 a/b/g Wireless

128mb Nvidia

80 Gig Internal HDD ( 4 Partitons, 20mb apiece)

200 Gig External USB 2.0 HDD (Gotta have it)

1 Gig San-Disk USB 2.0 Flashdrive

It's nothing special, but it handles my needs (Multitasking is an understatement) I run about 11 Programs at a time, not to mention WindowBlinds, I'm re-compiling my Firefox Distro. In the BG, and my CPU is barely hitting 75% Usage. And my RAM's just cruising.

A system (slightly lower) than that of mine, will do you PERFECTLY, and allow for future expansion (Like windows:vista (longhorn) that will REQUIRE 512mb of ram to run, and more is always better :P

Panda

Well it depends. If your going to play 3D games or so you might have to change its specifications. for music i think you should get a higher cpu cause it might take longer to buffer and all. if your motherboard cant hold enough cpu then you shouldnt get the computer or you should upgrade the motherboard. and i also recomend you getting 256-512 mb of ram. also you can get a case if you want it to look better but thats totaly optional.