xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Pdrive

The Spinning Ball Of Confidence Heres a new NLP technique for everyone

Hey all,

As some of you have noticed, Ive been posting my articles and advice about Neuro-Linguistic Programming and its various applications (see my Power Persuasion thread).

I recently refined this technique, so here it is:

The Spinning Ball of Confidence

This is a fantastic little visualisation technique that I use all the time. It works amazingly for overcoming little tingles of fear you might get when you have to present in front of a group, give a speech or whatever.

It?s really simple... I use it to supercharge myself before going into a situation where I need to really excel in communication, create a great image in other?s minds, generally present myself and my cause successfully and feel great doing it.

Here?s how it works:

Take any negative feelings you have about what your about to do (I usually have a bit of nervousness before making a presentation) and visualise them as a coloured ball rolling around inside you (wherever you "feel" that feeling). If you have trouble doing this, try to think of where in your body the feeling might start or enter? then think of where it might leave you? now create a cyclic motion between these two points.

Can you see it?.... That?s great.

Now, which way is that ball spinning? It could be going any way... find out...

Can you see that?

Now slow the spinning down, make the ball get slowly slower and slower. Do you notice those feelings diminishing?

Bring the ball to a complete halt. Hold it still. Now you?re feeling neutral, right?

But neutrality is not the way you want to enter your conversations (or any situation).

So let?s try something else... start spinning the ball the opposite way to which it was spinning before.... feeling good, huh?

Now, feel better... spin the ball faster!

Now faster!

Now 5 times as fast again!

Feeling GOOD?!

Spin it faster! FEEL BETTER!

10 times... spin it so fast that it makes a noise like a circular saw!

Now with a big whoosh noise, make that ball twice its size!

Now twice as big again!

Make that ball so big your body is inside it!

Pheew! You can stop now... I?m exhausted. That feels good huh?

You can do this technique as fast as you want, whenever you want. You can spin the ball whatever way works best, make it whatever colour you want. Visualise the technique associated or disassociated.

Play around with it, get good at it. Be flexible.

Try practicing, just imagining the times when you might use it for real.

When you can generate strong positive states in yourself, you can generate strong positive states in other people. This will help you become a confident, expert communicator.

You want to learn more? Check out the webiste I originally wrote this article for (it hasn't appeared there yet)... nlpweekly.com

The website is full of great articles, and they have a forum - a fantastic supporting community of fellow NLPer's. Have a look, or if you have a question, post it here - I'll answer it gladly. ;)

Pdrive

Wow, I'm so gonna try this out when I have my next presentation ;)I don't have school yet, so it will take some weeks before I have one...I can't really get that exciting feeling unless I really have a presentation, and than the feeling just appears right before I have to speak, and it will stay till I'm done.. So it would be great if I could control that feeling cause now I feel it the whole time so it remembers me that I'm nervous all the time.. Anyways, I'm gonna try it out :P Hope it works.. I don't really look at those sites normally, but it's very interesting :P Tnx for sharing :P

very nice!i like this one, but strange enough when you say the ball has to go bigger its not making it better, i rather just stop when the ball is spinning like mad in the opposit way.any ver nice tutorial, thums up ;)

well... not everybody works the same (in fact, no one does) so be flexible and do what works best.... experiment etcTry changing the colour of the ball - that worked for a friend of mine one time.Pdrive

hmm interesting, but i just not think about the people being thier whenn i talk to big groups.

This sounds very interesting. I'll have to remember to try that whever I get nervous about something.This would have been good for me to know in high school because I used to have to do a lot of speeches and stuff in front of the class for English and History, and I used to get REALLY nervous before them. Now that I'm at university, I don't really have to do speeches anymore, but I'm sure this will come in handy for the odd occasion when I do feel nervouse...like maybe going to the dentist for a start. *shudders*

Man, that's some instructions to remember. Still, a pretty good tutorial. I hope it helps other people. ;)

Saint Michael,

You'd probably present better if you did think about the audience when you present... that way you can observe their response to you.

Thats why this technique is so good... it enables you to stop focusing on yourself and start operating in the state of "uptime" where you can really present the best... concentrating on the important stuff.

Pdrive

My school starts again next week. I'm gonna print it and put it into my agenda (/diary?) so I can look it op whenever I need it ;) Do you let the ball spinning during the for example presentation?

Keep the ball spinning all through your presentation... as your standing up there, you'll find it the easiest thing in the world to keep spinning the ball, it'll actually eventually spin itself.The reason for this? That spinning ball effect is exactly how fantastic presenters feel in their gut when they present dynamically and successfully.The reverse? Thats clenching sick rolling sensation of nervousness... thats how nervous people feelNow reverse it!Pdrive

This reminds me of "The White Ball of Healing Light" in Fight Club lol, But it seems interesting enough for me to try it out. I have tried a few things like this before, and they weren't what I expected but they did help. I guess I needed more practice and experimentation. But Thanks for the advice, I joined the site and checked out the forums, a bunch of really cool people. Well Thanks again :huh: