xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
midnightvamp

Website Form Not Sending Correctly Any ideas?

Okay, so I've been trying to set up a form on my site, that would allow people to submit three things:Language, Phrase and MeaningExample:Language: JapanesePhrase: Ohayo gozaimasuMeaning: Good morningAnyway, I've searched through these forums here, and ones that are off site, and tried to come up with some stuff... but whenever I find examples that I try, they aren't quite what I'm looking for, so I change things, to fit what I need, so that it looks right on my site, but then it doesn't send at all, or not correctly.I could do it fine I think, if I knew what the address for the cgi-bin thing is, but after looking through these boards, I've seen a few different ones posted, but none of them worked when I tried them out for me. Is that because I need a special page added or something?I also tried to set up a php thing, because I found tutorials for that sort of thing which didn't seem that hard, but I don't know php, so I got pretty lost pretty quickly. So, the latest one I've attempted goes something like this (By this point, I thought the simpler the better):

<form method="post" action="http://chromlea.trap17.com/usr/sbin/sendmail"><input type="hidden" name="destination" value="chromlea@gmail.com"><input type="hidden" name="subject" value="New Information"><P>Language: <input type="text" name="language" size="35"><br>Phrase: <input type="text" name="phrase" size="35"><br>Meaning: <input type="text" name="meaning" size="35"><br><input type="submit" value="Submit"></form>

Am I anywhere on the right track? Would that work if I had the right cgi-bin address (or whatever it is called?) And do I have to add an extra page to the cgi folder to handle the forms or not? Sorry, I've been trying to get this form to work for hours, and I was hoping that you'd be able to help me.If you need any other information, just let me know, I tried to be thorough, so that you could see where I am messing up.

Notice from BuffaloHELP:
Edited as requested.
Edited by BuffaloHELP (see edit history)

If you simply want the results of the form to be emaild to you then I think it would be easier to use PHP. Use this code for the form:

<form method="post" action="sendmail.php">
<P>
Language: <input type="text" name="language" size="35"><br>
Phrase: <input type="text" name="phrase" size="35"><br>
Meaning: <input type="text" name="meaning" size="35"><br>
<input type="submit" value="Submit">
</form>

Then create a new file called sendmail.php and make sure it is in the same folder as the HTML form. Put this into the sendmail.php file using a text editor like notepad:

<?php$language = $_POST['language'];$phrase = $_POST['phrase'];$meaning = $_POST['meaning'];$subject = "New Information";$address = "chromlea@gmail.com";$message = "Language: ";$message .= $language;$message .= "     Phrase: ";$message .= $phrase;$message .= "     Meaning: ";$message .= $meaning;mail($address, $subject, $message) or die("There was an error sending the email");?>

Try that and see if it does what you want it to. If not, or there are any errors then feel free to ask for help ;)