xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Aevum Decessus

What Is Googletalk the new Google IM service

Recently (2 days ago) Google released their own Instant Messanger program, in a beta release. If you would like to try it out, go to this link https://www.google.com/hangouts/ to download the free app. It's a 900KB download, so even those on 56k modems can get it in minutes.

What I've seen so far in GIM:

Automatic addition of all your Gmail contacts to your friends list

Check your Gmail from the app.

Custom away messages, as of now, do not save when you sign out

There is not a way to change fonts or and other richtext options yet, will be in a later release

The only text formatting I know of is when you type with an asterisk on each side of your text, it shows up in bold. I.E *hello* will display as hello

You can invite anyone from outside of Gmail to a gmail account, and GoogleTalk at teh same time, with 3 easy steps.

Unfortunately, GoogleTalk is in beta stages, and is only open to users who have a Gmail account.

I just checked out the website myself, and the program looks promising. I guess my problem would whether to use AIM, Skype or Googletalk - since I have a gmail account already.