xisto Community
Effin

Forum Software

I've been seeing alot of topic and stuff that say "What forum should I use?" I''m sure you've asked yourself this question(if you have a forum or plan on making one). Ao, I am going to review every forum software I have used for reference.

Burning Board: I have used this forum awhile back. I must say it is a pretty decent forum but it costs money. It is not worth the money though. Especially when you can get a better software like IPB or vB. Not much of a review but it should help.

Burning Board Lite: It is a free version of burning board. I used this once. I had problems installing and problems with the admin. I would not recommend this to anyone. Especially with all the other free boards out there.

EKINboard: Ekin is probobly one of my favorites. It looks similar to Invision Power Board but, isn't much like it. It is rather new so it is lacking a few features the other bigger forum softwares have. But that doesn't bother me too much. My favorite part of this forum is the Admin Panel. It is easy to navigate and is much different than other forums.

Invision Power Board: I'm pretty sure everyone knows about this board and has had some expierience with it. If not goto http://www.zifboards.com/ nd try it yourself. Pointless review. :D

myBulletinBoard: This is another one of my favorites. It has a nice ACP great community that offers excellent support. It is also pretty simple to skin and has a look similar to vBulletin with a better feel. Check this one out. :)

phpBB: Used to be my favoirte buy I am kind of starting to stay away from it. It is pretty plain but fast and easy to use for beginners.

PunBB: This is a nice simple lightweight board. Great for those who don't need all thos extra features the larger softwares offer. Skinning is extremely easy. They have a site where you fill out hex codes and it fills in the colors for you and gives you a code. So if you are into/need a lightweight board, defientyl go with this.

I'll add more to this later.

uh why is vbulletin not listed?and you should have put the forums in order of your opinion best to least favorite.as Burning Board would be my first click as it is first but yet in your description you say it isn't worth the money spent. So i would have wasted a click

In my view I like 3 forum software:

Invsion Power Board (IPB)

This is my #1 favorite. Why? cause i been using it a lot. I made many great forums with it. I really like it. I like the U do it ur self thing. U enter your own codes and stuff, ur own skin, which makes this software my fav.

Vbulletin

Every forumer should want vbulletin as it is one of the best forum makers oyt there, but th reason i like the #2 best is becayse it cost a fortune. Compare to IPB it although has much more features but cost about tons more, and i like things free, heck thats why i am here. xD

Phpbb

Phpbb is my 3rd fav because its quite code. It has many good features and its extrmly easy to use not to mention its aboutly(sp?) free. I like it very much, but i prefer IPB more cause of the code entereing and skin entering effect and it doesnt have as much goodies as Vb.

Yeah, IPB is pretty cool. But some of my new favorites are.
MyTopix - I don't remember the link, but it reminds me of IPB, but it's faster, not as well known or supported, it's very new, and has a better theme.
Simple Machines Forum - It's very simple, and very fast, it's like Proboards.com, but more advanced, I really like it. You should try it...

well i have never installed any board for myself but i have been part of forums and i think phpbb is a good option as it is free and gives lot of options....not only this but you can install new scripts to make it a powerful board....you can get those hacks..mods from this site http://www.phpbbhacks.com/

IPB is also good....trap17 is using this forum software and is running successfully, so i am sure this is also one of the best.

I am not that big a fan of IPB. I like phpBB because it is fast. IPB is rather slow. This board loads very slowly for me I'm not sure about you guys though. I'm on cable and it loads like dial-up :S. Maybe it's all thee content/ads?

Here are the ones I have used:

phpBB

I have used this board earlier and it is one of the most popular ones. It is free, easy to configure and highly customizable.

Invision Power Board

Used this when it was in 1.3 and also at invisionfree.com But since then I have tried a few others which are free and found them better than buying IPB (it is not free any more)

Simple Machines Forum

This is the one I am currently using. It integrates well with Mambo CMS and since my site was in Mambo this became a good option. Heard that phpBB also integrates through a bridge but after configuring this it was good enough so did not give phpbb+mambo a try. Though it took a little time to integrate with mambo the first time but it was worth the effort.

Cheers.

I suggest making your own, so that you will know what exactly is happening on your forum software and also on your forum. Or, use any forum software or forum script that is really stable, and has no security exploits everytime the developer releases them.

I use phpBB forums, because I've used it for almost 3 years now on other sites. They keep udated all the time which is nice. ;)

There are many other free forum softwares out there such as Beehive Forum .6.1 and myTopix. I personally like Invision Power Services such as its Board, Dynamic, Gallery and Blog but like many users, the price tag turns people off. (Actually, I can't even afford any in the first place since I'm still a student!)

For those who don't want to make a run for their money, InvisionBoard 1.3 is available free and there are many sites such as Invisionize that allows you to make your version 1.3 of the board to have a version 2.x look. InvisionFree is another great alternative if you don't have a host.