xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
songlikeecho

Apple Isight

Other than the aluminum bodied slickness of the isight, I don't think it's all that impressive. Any Firewire webcam can generate 640x480 resolution at full 30fps. I have ADS Technology's PYRO Firewire webcam http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ and it works, if not, just as the same. The difference is that isight has built-in microphone. I have a $20 microphone with echo suppressor (by SONY) that works just as effective.

So the bottom line is that isight is all in one design. But for far less for the money, I can achieve the same quality and functionality. By the way, I can never get to transmit full 30fps unless I'm on a T1 line (since upload speed for home broadband is limited anywhere from 160kbs to 780kbs).

Thanks BuffaloHELP. I am still pretty torn. I must say, the sleek design really draws me in. I have been checking reviews on Amazon and such, and as of right now, I will probably get one. Also, on Amazon you are able to get it for about $140 (ten dollars off the usual price!) with free shipping. Anyone who owns isight have something to add? Any input is appreciated. -_-

I have to say, I loved the iSight, but then I used it to communicate with my wife, who was at the other side of the world for two months. Sleek affair (-: I looked into cheaper firewire cams, but they lacked both flair, and connectivity to my wife's iBook. That's why we went for them in the end. My brother has a cheap - generic one, but the quality is really crap. So if you have not bought one yet, I would very much recommend one.(No I am not paid by Apple, nor overtly rich....)