xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Anndi

Email Clients Which One Do You Trust For Security?

Many people don't care about email account security and just go for a Hotmail account because it's automatically MSN compatible or a Gmail account because it has lots of space. But out of those of you who choose your email based on safetey and security, which client do you recommend? There are tons out there.Personally, I use GMX.net, it's a German service with extremely high security. They have a password meter to check your password for how easy or hard it might be to guess, encouraging you to use upper and lower case letters along with numbers. They verify all your contact information and scan for fake addresses. They also warn you before viewing HTML emails that may contain inappropriate or harmful information. They're claimed to be one of the best European email providers. They even provide you with a 1GB mailbox that can be accessed by 5 separate, free email addresses. The only downside to some people is that the service is all in German. So if you don't speak German, such a safe and handy email client isn't of much use to you. Does anyone else here use GMX? If not, what do you use, and do you actually care about the security, or just the space and special features?

i'm not sure but i haven't really needed any added security. I working on a mac and there aren't any viruses out there for us. But i'm assuming here that the worry is viruses. I would say, if you have the cash, then by a mac
round

Hmm.. i never really worried about my email provider security. I mean I AM the one that's suppose to be careful with my own email address. Not open suspect programs and files, be careful when handling emails coming from a strange person.. etc etc.For email providers i use Gmail, Hotmail and Yahoo (and my internet provider email account)As Gmail and my internet provider accounts support POP3, i usually read them with Mozilla Thunderbird.So i think the most important thing when it comes in email security is the user self attention to not fall in not necessary risks.

I use a Yahoo.co.uk email account that I have set up to use Mozilla Thunderbird. Mozilla Thunderbird is a lot more secure than Outlook Express and Outlook. Just like Mozilla Firefox is much more secure than Internet Explorer. Mozilla Firefox and Mozilla Thunderbird are a nice combination to have together.Why is Mozilla Firefox and Mozilla Thunderbird much more secure? It is, because they are free open source programs that have many developers coding them from all over the world. The majority of the Firefox or Thunderbird developers are hobbyists and do not get paid to code Firefox or Thunderbird.With open source programs the source code is available for anyone to get hold of. Yes this does include the bad guys, but with popular open source programs such as Firefox and Thunderbird any security issues that they find out about get fixed really quickly. Where as a software company with Microsoft being a prime example, it can take over a year before security issues are fixed in a program, if they ever get fixed at all.

Hmm.. i never really worried about my email provider security.
I mean I AM the one that's suppose to be careful with my own email address. Not open suspect programs and files, be careful when handling emails coming from a strange person.. etc etc.

For email providers i use Gmail, Hotmail and Yahoo (and my internet provider email account)

As Gmail and my internet provider accounts support POP3, i usually read them with Mozilla Thunderbird.

So i think the most important thing when it comes in email security is the user self attention to not fall in not necessary risks.

i agree with that~ the user would be the one responsible for the security of his/her account, so its much better to watch what things you open rather than totally rely onthe email client ;)
i use thunderbird too at times~

Well what you are saying is basically about email service providers not about EMAIL CLIENT.An Email Client is basically a software which downloads your email from pop, imap and sends it from smtp server for example : Outlook, Outook express, eudora etc.But yes if you are asking about the security thing then GMAIL, HOTMAIL are fine because when you are typing your password there main page is secured and thus makes sure that password cannot be decrypeted by anyone else. Thus ensuring the security of the emails!

security isn't my concern since, most of my emails is junk anyways, but i have to yahoo, has pretty good security though.

When the thread starter refered to security, did they mean the Client itself (Thunderbird, Outlook Express) or the provider (Gmail, Yahoo, etc.)?As far as security is concerned, if you recieve sensitive data in the mail like that, you need to lose the free accounts and such, and get Verisigned, and pay for all the expensive certificates. I think that otherwise, security isn't much of an issue... If you have a password that's difficult to guess (not something straight outta the dictionary) then that's the only concern as far as security should go in your part. If you need 512 bit-AES encryption for your e-mail, and triple passworded, non-cookie enabled service, It makes me wonder what kind of stuff you're trafficing, and how much you get paid.As far as clients go, the only one for me is Thunderbird. It's made by a company we all know and trust, so there's no chance of them Hijacking personal information, and it's fully featured, and has the World's best spam blocker (IMO, second only to Gmail itself).Ultimate combo - Gmail and Thunderbird. If you've got the spamblocker on gmail working, then it stops all the naughty magazine subscriptions from e-mailing you trying to get another years worth of magazines out of you, and thunderbird's filter catches everything else you deem appropriate.Panda

If you ask me, I don't think there is a need for added/improved security features as long as you're not using the email for business or other important purposes. (Unless you're working with some goverment with classified documents, I'm sure the goverment will take steps to provide you with an internet security suite and a custom email client and service. That's what my uncle got.) As a student, I have nothing to hide so I'm using GMail for most of my newsletters and registrations and register it with .NET Passport to chat on MSN. (Most Singaporeans use MSN Hotmail.) I will be reconsidering Yahoo! since it does have alot of features such as a Yahoo! Auctions and even Geocities. (I know that they actually screwed it up but it'll still be fine.)

I think that Gmail and Yahoo have really good security. They both use secure sites for logging in. They both have powerful spam filters. Yahoo scans attachments for viruses. The way I look at it those two email services side by side are some of the best around when it comes to security. They don't say if your password is good enough because most people (like me) would ignore the warning anyways so whats the point of having one.

Hotmail has a password meter too, and Yahoo uses Norton Antivirus, which isn't that bad. I believe that all services are good, especially ISP services. Anyways, I would choose that German service if I understood the language, but for me, hotmail is good enough. ;)

I have try a lot of free email service but for number one about fast and security is Gmail . I use Yahoo because i like to online using Yahoo Messenger.I leave Outlook express for My Email Client. and I prefer using Mozilla Thunderbird. it better than OE.

Hm..I really trust GMail because they cannot affor not to be safe enough with that many ppl using it i guess! And also they offer so much space that lots of data would have been endanegered if security was not good enough..I would also trust Yahoo!Mail and hotmail...the most important thing is that there are many ppl using the service because company has bigger responsibility then..