xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
cragllo

Making Shadows Without Images

Im going to show you very simply how to create boxes with Shadows using div tags and css, no images needed, meaning fat pageload times! :D

You simple need to create two layers, one behind the other, the one behind will have a top and left margin on 20px, the one infront 10px, set teh background colour of the one behing darker than teh one infront, you should end up with something like this:

Posted Image

Here is th html to create this effect:

<div id="Layer1" style="position:absolute; left:15px; top:15px; width:400px; height:200px; z-index:1; background-color: #000066; layer-background-color: #000066; border: 1px solid #000000;"></div><div id="Layer2" style="position:absolute; left:10px; top:10px; width:400px; height:200px; z-index:2; background-color: #0099FF; layer-background-color: #0099FF; border: 1px solid #000000;"></div>
Its as simple as that, two divtags, a bit of css, no images :D Edited by OpaQue (see edit history)

Really cool. Somewhere in someone's webpage I saw something like this when I tried to right-click no images was coming and I was wondering how he did it. Thanks for sharing it here. Keep sharing those with us. :D I don't mind it seeing more of those. Very nice tutorial.

<div id="Layer1" style="position:absolute; left:15px; top:15px; width:400px; height:200px; z-index:1; background-color: #000066; layer-background-color: #000066; border: 1px solid #000000;"></div><div id="Layer2" style="position:absolute; left:10px; top:10px; width:400px; height:200px; z-index:2; background-color: #0099FF; layer-background-color: #0099FF; border: 1px solid #000000;"></div>
One flaw with this method is that you've given absolute positioning to your first element. You can achieve the same result without absolutely positioning your first element like this:
<div id="Layer1" style="width:400px; height:200px; z-index:1; background-color: #000066; layer-background-color: #000066; border: 1px solid #000000;"><div id="Layer2" style="position:absolute; left:5px; top:10px; width:400px; height:200px; z-index:2; background-color: #0099FF; layer-background-color: #0099FF; border: 1px solid #000000;"></div></div>
The second <div> is positioned absolutely in relation to the first (ie it's inside the first div).
I've just posted this in another thread, but it seems relevant to this one too: CSS dropshadows (with feathered edges).