xisto Community
cragllo

[php] Simple Newsletter Script

This tutorial will give you the code needed and tell you how to implement it.

First off you need to create a file called mailing.php this will be the file that processes the adding of emails to the list.

<?php$email = $_POST['email'];$file = fopen("mailing.txt", "a");fwrite($file, "\n" . $email);fclose($file);header("Location: mailing_thankyou.php");?>

Next you need to create a file called mailing_thankyou.php, simple a page thanking them for signing up.

Now create a file called mailing.txt with nothing in it, when uploaded to the server set it writable (chmodd 666 or 777).

Now you need to form for teh people to enter their email address, put this on any page

<form action="mailing.php" method="post" class="style16"><input type="text" name="email" size="30" value="your email here!"><input type="submit" value="GO!" name="submit"></form>

Now you need a file to send the newsletter, create a file called anything you want.

<?php$send = $_POST['send'];if($send){		$email = $_POST['email'];				$emailfile = file_get_contents("mailing.txt");		$emaillist = explode("\n", $emailfile);				foreach ($emaillist as $value)		{		mail($value, $_POST['subject'], $_POST['message'], "From: $email");		}				echo "<b>Email sent!</b><br />";}?><form action="<?php $_SERVER['PHP_SELF']; ?>" method="post">  <table width="481" border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0">				<tr valign="top">				  <td width="84" align="right" valign="top" class="style32">Subject:</td>				  <td width="397" align="left" class="style32">					  <input name="subject" type="text" id="subject" size="41" maxlength="100">				  </td>				</tr>				<tr valign="top">				  <td width="84" align="right" valign="top" class="style32">From:</td>				  <td align="left" class="style32"><input name="email" type="text" id="email" size="41" maxlength="100"></td>				</tr>				<tr valign="top">				  <td align="right" valign="top" class="style32">Message:</td>				  <td align="left" class="style32">					  <textarea name="message" cols="37" rows="4" id="message"></textarea>				  </td>				</tr>				<tr valign="top">				  <td align="right" valign="top" class="style32"> </td>				  <td align="left" class="style32">					  <input name="send" type="submit" id="send" value="SUBMIT">					  <input name="Reset" type="reset" id="Reset" value="RESET">				  </td>				</tr>  </table></form>

Thats you all done, to send the newsletter, simply go to the file you just created fill in the spaces, and click send, there is no warning/confirmation. so check before you send!

Please note: I will be improving on this script as time goes on, hopefuly to make it able to remove people from the list too, So check back soon!

Edited by cragllo (see edit history)

Thank you so much. I am a dunce when it comes to PHP (I can understand it, but writing it is a different matter).You would not believe the extenct of which I have searched the Internet trying to find such a script.However, is it a flat file php script? There seems to be no mention of database, after all, wouldn't it need a database connection to retrieve the list of people who are signed up?

Thank you so much. I am a dunce when it comes to PHP (I can understand it, but writing it is a different matter).

You would not believe the extenct of which I have searched the Internet trying to find such a script.

However, is it a flat file php script? There seems to be no mention of database, after all, wouldn't it need a database connection to retrieve the list of people who are signed up?

First of, I am exactly the same as you, I know how PHP works, what it can do, and I can easily edit php scripts, but writing my own is hord, I'm still learning but I know the basics and more.

Secondly, This scripts is flat file, all emails are saved in mailing.php (each on a new line), I am currently working on the part to search through that file and remove emails from the list.