xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
emperor

Contests A new idea

I thought about it when I discover that exist a way to transfer credits. Many other have suggested website contests or quiz (both with rewards), but I thought about a new idea of contests.

They can be about anything (from math to PHP, from findind much thnigs about something strange on the web to what you want), but that can't be resolved simply looking on a book or a single web site.

This an example of how they should be organized

Title: Find many informations you can find on the web about Coal Skink. You must tell us where did you find info, sites with lower Page Rank give more points.

Join fee: 5 credits (1 for transfering fee)

Prizes: 1st place=50% of credits collected

2nd place=30%

3rd place=20%

Minimum "players": 5

Aids: 1 aid every 4. It can be given to hosted members with at least 75 posts and active in the last two weeks, to this will be given the 5 credits fee, if they will lose, they will pay the fee, while they will win, the fee will be deducted from the prize

My idea is that anyone that match some requirements (for example: not hosted and never hosted in last 4 months, at least 100 posts, active in last 2 weeks, moderators can allow someone that doesn't match the requirements) can start a competition in a new forum section (no post count, obviusly). Can exist rules that punish who steal credits, for example a 10% warn every 5 credits + 10 credits removed every 5 credits or something worse.

But it's important that not only moderators or very old members can organize them, they should be opened to at least 10-20% of members.

This is my suggestion, and I think that you can make something similar. And this will bring you more visitors and it will be a new way to enjoy for members.

It's a nice idea and I like it but you have to find an admin interested in dealing with the credits because you can't transfer them. We have 3 admins - one's tempory, one's very busy at this moment.

Again with the new forum, there has to be an admin you will accept your idea and create the forum.

some requirements (for example: not hosted and never hosted in last 4 months, at least 100 posts, active in last 2 weeks, moderators can allow someone that doesn't match the requirements)

A good 90% of the active members here are hosted and if there not, they are planning to request hosting. If you want people joining, you're gonna have to eradicate that rule. Also, the whole point is to get quality posts. You could make 100 posts of complete c--p and you would still get in. Maybe make it 20 or 30 credits and 40 for those who are non-hosted, because their credits don't go down daily. Most people have around 30.

Can exist rules that punish who steal credits,

You can't steal credits and once again you'd need an admin to track down that kind of activity. If people did find a way to steal credits and they used it, they would be immediately, permanently banned.

It's a nice idea but unless an admin is willing to run it, it won't happen :D As most people, I'd join if it were.

It's a nice idea and I like it but you have to find an admin interested in dealing with the credits because you can't transfer them.

I have understood that now you can make this, so what is THIS? Maybe I haven't understood this completely.

A good 90% of the active members here are hosted and if there not, they are planning to request hosting. If you want people joining, you're gonna have to eradicate that rule. Also, the whole point is to get quality posts. You could make 100 posts of complete c--p and you would still get in. Maybe make it 20 or 30 credits and 40 for those who are non-hosted, because their credits don't go down daily. Most people have around 30.

I admit that about not hosted I have made a mistake, this is an example and I simply would like to say that rules should allow many people to access this, but only people that works for months, not the first newbie. For this reason I told that moderators can allow someone that not match requirements.

I have understood that now you can make this, so what is THIS? Maybe I haven't understood this completely.

Ooh, I didn't know about that! You'd think they would announce such a thing. Maybe with this, we could start that up. We may not need a seperate forum for this you could put in the entertainment forum, although the no post count may deter people from entering. One of other hand we could easily post this in General Talk. Looks like us members could start this up on our own then.

I don't see how people could cheat, so now we've cut out the need for an admin. All we need now is 6 other people interesting in entering this event.

I admit that about not hosted I have made a mistake, this is an example and I simply would like to say that rules should allow many people to access this, but only people that works for months, not the first newbie

We should make it so that only people with the status "Member Level 1" (50 posts) can enter. A list of the status' can be found here. Judging it on posts and not credits is easier to do as we can see post count but no credits, so ignore my suggestion on basing the entry requirements on that.

And this will bring you more visitors and it will be a new way to enjoy for members.

However, the entry requirements may deter people from joining

When the rules have been decided and such we should make a topic displaying them and try and get a moderator to pin it.

I also think that we should wait until the transfer module is announced before we begin using it. Has it been announced, I was away for a few days so probably missed some things.

Any suggestions/comments? Anyone else interested in entering?

I think that this can be the best rules:

Who can enter a competition: Newbie Level 3 (Active in last 3 weeks)
Who can organize a competition: Member Level 3 (Active in last month)

I will try to make a list of who can organize, so I will be able to understand how much people can do this.

although the no post count may deter people from entering.

I've thought that people dosen't post their results, but they will send them to the organizer.

We can start today with a contest similar to my example, you can suggest about what players should find info? The Coal Skink maybe is too much strange, anyway shouldn't be as "London" or "table" :D

We can start today with a contest similar to my example

I still for reluctant about using the transfer feature as it hasn't been announced

Then I have just built an email address for these contests:trap17comp@hotpop.com

I like the email address but we could use the pm system. The organizer would need the password and username for the email account but if we use pming it would be easier to track down and penalise spammers and find out the person who sent the answer.

It has been announced in this forum some days ago, I don't remember the topic, but I remember that a member have asked to place a feature that allow transfers instead Reputation Points (that actually doesn't exist). And Opaque has spoken about this feature.

I like the email address but we could use the pm system. The organizer would need the password and username for the email account but if we use pming it would be easier to track down and penalise spammers and find out the person who sent the answer.

Ok, but I've thought about an email (each organizer can choose one, it can be its email or an email built fro this event) so it'll be easier send a work.
Anyway we can use PM

I can't find the thread, maybe it was deleted.Anyway we can ask some to moderators or admins, up to now they haven't said a single word about this idea. If we will have the approval of someone with more powers than us, the thing will be better (and get some advertisement :D)

well we are testing out a new credit system out epecially for contests but its going to be limited sig tourneys and Sig Of the Week contests, which gives you a incentive to get ps and start working on your graphic designs.