xisto Community
patelg

Linux Under Windows Linux in windows

I found an old computer that was running Windows ME (You know, Windows Mistake edition. :rolleyes:) and installed Unbuntu Linux. It makes it run like new and it's actually useable again! I highly recomend it.

I don't understand people who want to use Linux but don't want to leave Windows.What's the point of trying it then? You want to use Linux? Format your drive and install it, that's the best way of doing it.Ofcorse you can also use LIVE distributions, but don't come up with stupid ideas like Lindows, Winix, Win-Lin and so on.Linux under Windows is just a freaking disaster! Use either Windows or Linux, don't mix these two together!

For all of you kids out there, haven't you heard of VMWARE?

If people really want to run windows apps with linux they should try WINE. That way you don't have to have windows but keep using windows apps, though for every product you can buy for windows there is and equal open source alternative for linux. The only place I've seen this not apply is Macromedia Flash 8, and games that are not open source.

I reccomend Fedora Core for newbs even though it is bloated. But, FreeBSD is my favorite UNIX style OS.
Edited by Tetraca (see edit history)

Going thru the Ubuntu OS website and...men....what I saw there aint bad I must say. You know, I have alraedy registered and I am going to order for the free CDs and probably go for a download too.

The best way to get linux run under windows is to emulate a vmware image for your favourite distro like fedora or suse or whatever .Yet the vmware player will change nothing in your current system configuration , but for a 256 MB PC , it's a little impossible to run latest distro using this way .