xisto Community
Joer

A Possible Problem With Ftp And Filezilla Speed limits...(no joke)

I just want to share this with everyone using Filezilla. It may help some of the people complaining about not being able to connect to the FTP server to upload/download their files.As soon as I got hosted I tried to connect to the server. I went up and down and it didn't seem to be available. I played with the settings of Filezilla, ya know, firewall, proxies etc.Late at night, BuffaloHelp tried to help me at my own request. He suggested that being connected on a 56K modem, the connection might be so slow that the server could be interpreting it as a log off.I don't understand much of these things. But I anyway set it up to a steady connection speed limit of 6KB/s and 7KB/s for down and uploads respectively. And Voila!!! The connection was immediate.I hope this helps some of the people that are having trouble. If anyone could throw more light on this, I would be very grateful.Kind regards,JoeM?xico

Hi Joer,Shed some light ??..maybe..First you need to locate the EXACT source of the "time out" problem.It's possible that your ISP or one of the "subnets" that connect you to the Xisto server are messing up. You can check ALL the servers in the "chain" by using a program called "Win MTR"..it's avaailable for free at sourceforge.net.If any of the servers are being extra slow (>220ns..etc>) then tahta the source of the problem..& not the Filezilla program.If any of the servers are dropping packets then .. that's the source of the problem.Win MTR will check all that for you.If that's not the problem..then try using the "quick connect" & "bypass proxy settings" in Filezilla. I've never had it time out on me using those connections with a 56K modem connection.Hope this helpsRGPHNX

Hi RGPHNX,Thanks for the reply, I will download and test Win MTR. I might get better up/downloads.What was really strange is that nothing worked until I limited the speed in Filezilla. I did several pings before that an I got an average of 236ns. No loss. I set it to use "No Proxy." And I always use "Quick Connect" (That's because I have no idea whatsoever of what I am doing.) :D So, any light shed will be very much appreciated.Kind regards,JoeMexico

Hmm... interesting...As soon as I got hosted, I tried testing out the FTP, but it didn't work for me either. After half a hour or so, everything was working beautifully. I thought it was just a first-time setup thing.(I use CuteFTP, by the way)

vrey slow uploads using filezilla on a fibre line

A Possible Problem With Ftp And Filezilla

Hi all; I've been trying to upload video file to our server using a 10 mg burstable too 100mgs. I've run ping test and received returns ranging from 4ms upto 78ms.

At a loss here hope someone can help me.

Tony

-question by Tony Braia

-------------------

Admin Reply :-

Try a TRACEROUTE to your server.

Check where the packets are failing.

Filezilla problemA Possible Problem With Ftp And Filezilla

Well, filezilla is giving me problems too.  but in my case, when my users connect to it, they get disconected and prompted for the user login prompt again too ofter, after a while the connection gets too slow between pages and RETR commands processes.  I have heard that filezilla does this by "design" to prevent people from flooding my server.  But in my situation I have none of that fears since I am nor running my FTP server for the whole world, just for my immediate peoples and family members to securely share pictures and important documents, etc...  How do I get such kind of madness features that I don't need DISABLED in filezilla, I have scrolled through all the configuration menus and found none relevant to this behavior.

First, I don't want my users to get asked for authentication every 30 or so seconds that they remain idle, thats pure madness.  If possible, I would like that timer to be increased to like 5 to 30 minutes.

Second, I don't want my FTP server to purposely slow down my user's authentication and connection to my server because they happen to have logged in like 5 to 11 times within the hour or whatever.  I wish to have that feature removed or find a way to deactivate it.

Thanks.

-reply by FranciscoNET

Never mind.  I uninstalled Filezilla FTP server because it keeps on slowing down my users connection to it and I found no way that I could disable any "features" responsible for this issue.  Therefore I ended up installing CuteFTP server and the slowdown problems has disappeared.Conclusion: Filezilla FTP is a piece of trash and should be uninstalled in favor of CuteFTP.

-reply by FranciscoNET

Well I use FileZilla without any problem on a 128k connection.but I too would timeout in uploads and I found a solution to thatGo To Settings> Transfers> Timeout In Seconds> change it from 20 to 200 and you shouldn't timeout in uploadsand while your at it change burst tolerance to very high