xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
RoseSok

To Fly To A Dorm, Or Stay At Home? Confused about leaving the Nest.

Should I stay at home or get my own place?  

2 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Is it better to stay at home with your parents and earn your degree at a Long Beach State? or to gain independence in your own apartment at a San Diego State college? I really would love your opinions on this topic because I have one year to decide what classes I need to take before I transfer out. Thanks for any consideration on this topic. much luv, Rose :P

Well, I'm quite happy that I stayed with a parent during college. This way, I only need a part time job to pay for tuition, and I won't end up with a huge debt at the end of it all like most of my classmates. Plus, my sister and I are planning to move out in a year or two, once school is finished, and it shouldn't be any problem, because we won't have the extra bill to pay every month.Mind you, if money isn't an issue, it can be a great experiance to move far away and grow as a person independantly. I don't think I could have at the time though. I wasn't emotionally ready to leave home just yet. I'm getting there though :P

Well, I'm quite happy that I stayed with a parent during college. This way, I only need a part time job to pay for tuition, and I won't end up with a huge debt at the end of it all like most of my classmates. Plus, my sister and I are planning to move out in a year or two, once school is finished, and it shouldn't be any problem, because we won't have the extra bill to pay every month.

Mind you, if money isn't an issue, it can be a great experiance to move far away and grow as a person independantly. I don't think I could have at the time though. I wasn't emotionally ready to leave home just yet. I'm getting there though :P

162211[/snapback]

Ditto on what the vampire said. (Did you know that you say "mind you" a lot?)

If you can afford it, then live by yourself. You'll learn a lot of life lessons such as managing bills, and making food. If you can't afford it, then live with your parents. No harm in that, and you probably won't get any criticisms from your friends because you're still with your parents until you're in your 30s.

Ditto on what the vampire said. (Did you know that you say "mind you" a lot?)

Heh... I'm a vampire :P And I didn't know that, 'mind you' it just seems to come so naturally to me, that I figure I probably must.

Anyway, I just had another thought. If you do decide to study away from home, try to find out about the place you will be staying in. I've heard some horror stories about the dorms, and the meal plans they offer.

Well not sure how much you like your parents. If you like them alot then i would say, have them pay for your daily needs. but if it's unbareable then move. The one thing you do learn when your on your own is whether or not your going to pay your bills on time. It's a crap shoot that. I mean when i lived with my parents, i always paid all my bills in full and on time, when i moved away things kind of got crazy and i sort of didn't.
round

Go away to school. It will be the best experience of your life, I promise. It is so much different I don't even know how to begin to explain. It isn't a matter of liking your parents or anything like that at all. I love my family and I go away to school. Since you already pay your bills, I'm assuming money isn't a problem either.

hey thank you guys for the advice. man this is so awesome to get different opinions and views on a dilemma such as this one. i've decided to go away to san diego state and rent an apartment. thanks so much guys!! if i can't deal, i pray to god, my parents will take me back. hehe.. bye guys!rose :P

Well, I have been away from my family and my home country for 4 years now. I did my A-level in England and am doing a degree in England too. (mainly because I got an opportunity)I got on with my family fine before i went to England (well, we did argue sometimes), but now I think we get on a lot better (hardly argue and stuff). I think 'absence makes the hearts go fonder'. I think even if you get along really well, there's time that you have to learn how to live your life by yourself too. :DI think living alone in a differrent city does teach you a lot. You'll appreciate those at home (who cook your breakfast, and dinner, who do your washing etc) more. You'll also learn things you can never learn at home. You'll learn to live responsibly, though independently. (well, unless college at home is a lot better than the one away)

its always good if the school provides apartments that you share amongst other students. So you won't have to pay everything and its such a burden. I recommend getting your own little fridge in your room. If you buy stuff and leave it in the big fridge they' just eat it. lol. But I think you should do whatever is in your best interest and financial standings. Just like everyone said.