xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
k2wl

How Google Web Accelerator Works google web accelerator

Well im going to take a guess at what it does, it prob opens up the ports related to the web or something to make it flow more... i personally dont use it because it seems fine by itself, your best bet is typing in google.com and say google web accelerater, i think if your dling itll tell you how it works.

Google Web Accelerator is...  Designed for Broadband Web pages load even more quickly on DSL and cable connections
  Easy to use Simply install and enjoy faster web browsing in seconds

Since it is desinged for Broadband users if your internet connection is not a broadband connection it will not work at first.

Secondly, you must meet the system requirement listed by Google web accelerator as follows:

System RequirementsOperating System: Win XP or Win 2000 SP3+
Browser: IE 5.5+ or Firefox 1.0+
Availability: For users in North America and Europe (during beta testing phase)

It means you must also meet their terms and conditions. I think Firefox is fast enough for any kind of browsing. Though Google has a clear privacy policy if you bother much about your privacy too much google stuffs on your browser toolbar may not be recommended as well.

For those who meet the requirements may experience the net effects in turn.

Hi k2wl,
Dragonfly is correct re:

Since it is desinged for Broadband users if your internet connection is not a broadband connection it will not work

Don't know if they're going to make it work with dialup in the future (probably yes?) ..only google knows for sure.IN the meantime you can check out Earthlink ISP provider.. they're "accellerator" works pretty good with dialup.
Most "accelarators" "work" by sending a "stripped down"(ie. lower resolution) version of graphics over the internet. Smaller graphics= faster loadtimes.
You usually won't even notice the difference in the graphics unless your using a high res monitor/ grtaphics card setup.
Hope this helps
RGPHNX

i see a web accelarator as a uneeded program to have, it may make thing smoother but its just going to slow your computer since its another program running in the background.

It caches the webpages in your harddrive. Like viewing a webpage offline, it's fast, because it's not in any server, but in your harddrive. It gives you the illusion of an accelerated connection, but in reality, it just makes you view webpages faster. I heard that it had bugs before though. There were times when you logged in as someone else. Caches aren't all good, because they can store personal information, making other people access your accounts.