xisto Community
Ryoma Taka

Is There Such Thing As A Free Photoshop? I bet you will all answer with no?

Photoshop came free with my computer, I didn't know it was gonna be on it when I bought it, great :DI suppose you could do it the illegal way, but that's illegal ;) lolI know it is really expensive, but couldn't you just buy it?

May I then recommend a legal way to purchase Photoshop but cheaper? Surf online auction sites like eBay, you can find slightly outdated versions there, like 7 or so. The price of course varies.

My sister just downloaded Gimp and she let me have a peak at it. It looks more simple to use than Photoshop, but it still seems to have all of the important features - but I'm no Photoshop expert by any stretch of the imagination. :D I like how it shows you a little preview for each instance in your history. To me it looks like it has everything you need. I'm going to download it later today and test it out myself.

You can download some large Gimp brush packages from here:

Cybia

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

They offer the same brushes for Photoshop and Gimp. Their largest package includes 600 brushes!

Yeah...me and Mike were talking about how many brushes we had...I think I had like 500 or so? and it was like a gig of space. So I deleted like, tons of them.

I installed Gimp and started working with it. Actually getting into the program and learning everything is a bit challenging, but many things are similar to Photoshop. It would probably be allot better if I already knew what all of the advanced tools did. I know most of the basic stuff, but beyond that I feel pretty lost. The brush set that comes from Cybia is very extensive, but I'm not able to use the unique brushes that I selected from deviantart.com. From the research I did, Gimp can actually use Photoshop's .abr brush files, but they have to be the version 1 brush. All of the files I downloaded must have been a later version. The biggest gripe I have about Gimp right now is that there are too few brush resources. When you find an awesome brush you would like to try, it is almost always in Photoshop format. There is a program out that will convert some of the older versions into Gimp brushes, but it looks a bit cumbersom and has no graphical user interface. Also, most of the sig tutorials out there are based on Photoshop so it can be a bit confusing for the graphically challenged. I really do like the program though. I'm going to keep it and hope that future upgrades of Gimp will support more Photoshop brushes - or there will be a better program to convert the files. And it's FREE! Can't beat that!

[1] I installed Gimp and started working with it. Actually getting into the program and learning everything is a bit challenging, [2] but many things are similar to Photoshop. [3] It would probably be allot better if I already knew what all of the advanced tools did. [4] I know most of the basic stuff, but beyond that I feel pretty lost. [5] The brush set that comes from Cybia is very extensive, [6] but I'm not able to use the unique brushes that I selected from deviantart.com. [7] From the research I did, Gimp can actually use Photoshop's .abr brush files, but they have to be the version 1 brush. All of the files I downloaded must have been a later version. [8] The biggest gripe I have about Gimp right now is that there are too few brush resources. When you find an awesome brush you would like to try, it is almost always in Photoshop format. [9] There is a program out that will convert some of the older versions into Gimp brushes, but it looks a bit cumbersom and has no graphical user interface. [10] Also, most of the sig tutorials out there are based on Photoshop so it can be a bit confusing for the graphically challenged. I really do like the program though. I'm going to keep it and hope that future upgrades of Gimp will support more Photoshop brushes - or there will be a better program to convert the files. And it's FREE! Can't beat that!

169683[/snapback]

Wow. Interesting.

[1] w00t! Have fun with it!

[2] I'd believe so. The GIMP was made to be an alternative to photoshop for the internet-unsavvy or for those who cannot afford photoshop.

[3] You will, my child. You will with time.

[4] You know the basic stuff because of Paint, I believe? Hardest program on earth to master.

[5] I'd believe so. 600 brushes in 1 pack. Most I have in 1 pack is like 12.

[6] *flings poo*

[7] Interesting. Version 1 of photoshop? That's probably like version 3.1 of Windows.

[8] Yeah, photoshop is in the mainstream right now. I blame adobe for making it too expensive. Makes people want to get it illegally even more.

[9] Really? Some of the best programs out there have no user interface.

[10] See number 8.

In case you decide GIMP isn't working out for you, here's some advice for procuring a legal copy of Photoshop: I've used Photoshop 7, Photoshop 8 (CS), and Photoshop 9 (CS2), and they are basically 1 program repackaged with a few extras thrown in every time. Photoshop 7 can be purchased at a relatively low price, even lower if you can get the student version. I would even bet that it loads faster than the newer two versions, which increasingly bloat your system with unnecessary processes (security and such).

Gimp is a really good free photoshop and it is also cross platform one.

Notice from Johnny:
We've pretty much established that at this point.

the gimp is an awesome little program that was made using the gpl license (originally for linux, but has been ported to windows). it can do almost everything that photoshop can do. The only thing i have against it is that after installation, when you load the program it opens in
seperate windows unlike most conventional programs. but it has a lot of good points...1} it's not a resource hog like most other graphical editors (including photoshop) and 2} it's incredibly small and install is a breeze. you can download gimp for here)
i've also done some digging and here is the brush convert utility for converting photoshop brushes to gimp brushes. and if that's not enough for ya, here is the forum for exactly how to convert the brushes (I think it even has pics :lol:). you can find that here.

now that that's out of the way, here are a few alternatives to photoshop other than gimp. 1] is paint.net...i've never even messed with it to be honest, but i've heard it's pretty darn good. i've seen screenshots and it looks cool. you'll need the .net framework to get it installed and working though, and it has a link for that download as well on the download site (here. oh and i think it's free too.
there's also paint shop pro that i've messed with and is ok. it's bout $109 for the newest version and you can get the 30 day trial here. I'm not a very big fan of it though. then there's the photoshop tryout of version cs2 (9) here and it runs some ungodly price. last time i checked it was like $600, but that was a long time ago with version 6. i went a step furthur and looked at ebays prices for ya and verion 7 of photoshop is runnin bout $80 which is a pretty darn good price even though it's version 7. there are a lot of good improvements from versions 7-9, however it's nothing you absolutely can't live without or download as a plugin and introduce to your experience. Just whatever you do stay away from elements man. it's not horrible, but it's a very very stipped down version that i wouldn't give the time of day (but i have...that's how i know!! -_-). and i guess that's about it, i hope i've helped you some.

:::kopakuxi:::

Notice from BuffaloHELP:
Merged double posts. Whenever you need to edit or correct your post, simply click on REPORT button located at the bottom of every post and write a detailed instruction to how to fix/edit your mistake.