xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
winflowers

GMail Drive shell extension use GMail as a storage media

It's really a nice tool for those who have GMAIL accounts.

GMail Drive is a Shell Namespace Extension that creates a virtual filesystem around your Google GMail account, allowing you to use GMail as a storage media. GMail Drive creates a virtual filesystem on top of your Google GMail account and enables you to save and retrieve files stored on your GMail account directly from inside Windows Explorer. GMail Drive literally adds a new drive to your computer under the My Computer folder, where you can create new folders, copy and drag'n'drop files to.

http://www.viksoe.dk/code/gmail.htm

Winflowers, is this allowed by the Gmail policy? and is it legal?If it is not, we may face the risk of losing our gmail account!Use it on a spare address if at all, folks, till you are sure it is acceptable...Googlue

I tried it... It works for small files without any problems. I uploaded an .gif file (8KB) and it worked fine and I saw that in Gmail account also. But then another zip file could not be sent at all and was repeatedly producing error...Author of this app says that it is still beta and not secure.There may be bugs like this also...However, it is a very brilliant idea! thank you winflower for giving the link...Googlue!

not a bad idea, the guy who made this had a really good idea. but i dont wanna lose my account, so until i get assured that my acc. wont be deleted, im not touching it..... i luv my acc. way 2 much.....another problem is my slow upload, it would take hrs 2 upload big files, whereas on a local drive, it would take minutes.....why wont the isps give us more bandwidth going up?? give us more!! Plaz?I promise I wont file Share! :)

I tried it... It works for small files without any problems. I uploaded an .gif file (8KB) and it worked fine and I saw that in Gmail account also. But then another zip file could not be sent at all and was repeatedly producing error...
Author of this app says that it is still beta and not secure.

There may be bugs like this also...

However, it is a very brilliant idea!

thank you winflower for giving the link...

Googlue!

Since the Gmail Drive treat your uploading file as the attachment of your email. So the file size is limited by the attachment of Gmail, that is 10M. The only problem is speed, which depends on your bandwidth.

update to new version 1.02

Version 1.02 has been released and includes the following changes:
* "Send To" context menu
* Option to preserve filenames in attachments
* Option to use HTTPS only (secure)
* Cookies don't interfere with GMail Notifier
* Proxy authentication support
* Several bugfixes

The new options are available in the Login dialog under the "More" button. It's necessary to uninstall, reboot and reinstall - to replace the old version

http://www.viksoe.dk/code/gmail.htm