xisto Community
rejected

Copyright Protection What is...Copyright protection?

I've read the site http://www.whatiscopyright.org/ too. Found it very interesting. I have however a question, maybe you guys can answer: if I am correct, you can't copyright facts. Let's say I want to make a site with cheats of popular first person shooters. Could I copy those cheats from other 'cheatsites'? It is just an example, I'm not going to make such site, but it was the first thing it came up in me :unsure::P

silverwoody, well direct copy word for word would still be an infringment of copyright laws, although it would be hard to prove. Kind of a grey area legally speaking, you can't directly copyright facts, but you can copyright the manner in which they are presented, thus things like encyclopedia's and dictionaries are copyrighted, otherwise you could just type out the dictionary put your name on it and sell it as is. In your example it would be pretty hard for a cheat site to make a case against you if you used thier site to make your own cheat site unless you directly cut and pasted it in the exact way they presented it. In otherwords it is not advisable.

I already thought it was a grey area, just an example. If you just take the words from the dictionary, putting in your own explanation, it would be the same like you said. However, in my opinion those are facts you copy, is that legal or not? I've never heard of someone who has copyrighted 1+1=2, just an stupid example :unsure:

Letters and numbers cannot be copyrighted. The image of the content (by that image I mean the persona) can be copyrighted. For example, the math calculations cannot be copyrighted (such as 1+1=2). It's a fact. However, the discovery of new calculations (such as the area of a circle) can be copyrighted (and is, by the way). And because it is copyrighted, any other ways of explaining with your own words cannot be copyrighted (this is the "image of the content" I'm talking about). However, the author of the area of a circle decided to release it as a non-profit copyright, we are able to use it in a text book. But, since a text book is copyrighted if a person or a company decided to paraphrase THAT text book and deliver it very similar to (such as chapter 1 has 2 formulas and chapter 2 has 10 formulas--just like the original text book) it is infringing the copyright law. Again, here is where that image of content fits in.Taking your example, yes if you decided to rephrase the dictionary you most certainly can. However, if a dictionary you are rephrasing it has 1 million words and your dictionary has 1 million words, and the sequence of words (although alphabetical but words are identical in sequence without omitting some words) are identical you are infringing the copyright law of the publishers of that dictionary.

Can you teach me what trademark, and reserve is?HOw is reserved different from copyright?

I get it now I think :unsure: As long as you don't copy material someone has made (like an explanation of a word) you're on the safe side (or at least in the grey area). Taking my dictionary again, if you take exactly the words other people have taken, it's also breaking the rules, since someone has thought: we take that word, that one not, ... And as you said, someone has ever found the formula for the area of a circle, so it can be copyrighted.Thanks for the explanation, took you a long time to type that, sorry.

Thanks for your replies everyone, and it was no trouble doing this at all.The credit would go to Chris Wilson aok-general :unsure:

I went and did a little research on copyright protection for you guys..
Copyright protection is a tangible material that is protected by a copyright. Anything can be copyrighted that you can view, hear, if it can be saved on your computer, or anything else that is a way of saving. Copyright Protection begins when something is created in tangible form. Once you have your material written down or saved somewhere, it is copyrighted, but you can't sue them unless you register your copyright with the U.S. Copyright Office. Even if your copyright isn't registered, you can still assert a copyright claim as the author.

When you see a "Å  Copyright 2004, 2005 Chris Wilson", it doesn't mean that the copyright expires in 2005. What it means it that the material was created in 2004 and then edited in 2005. A copyright lasts until 50 years after the death of the original author.

Taking anyone's work from the internet is illegal! If you see a background that you like, or part of someone's source that you'd like to use, that's illegal! That material is copyrighted. There are three things that aren't illegal when taking things: if it has been created by the federal government,  if the copyright has been abondoned by the holder, and if the copyright has expired.

If you have downloaded a free item from a website, you still have to comply with the owner's terms and or conditions. If it says that you must give them credit, you must give them credit, or else you're commiting copyright infringment. If the owner says you cannot edit it, you can't edit it legally.

You cannot take someone's work and translate it into a different language and then call it your own either.The Bern Convention says:  You have to have the author's permission to translate it into a different language.

I'd like to thank http://www.whatiscopyright.org/ for educating myself and others on the copyrighting experience. If I hadn't given credit to that website, I would be commiting plagarism from taking their ideas and paraphrasing them.

What i dont get is the nerve of some people THAT STILL COPY YOUR SITE! Even if you have the copy write and everything they still do it. But I have seen html codes that allow people if press copy or properites or anything you get a message saying not to. Those can help many sites. But what is the difference of Trademark and Copyright?

What i dont get is the nerve of some people THAT STILL COPY YOUR SITE! Even if you have the copy write and everything they still do it. But I have seen html codes that allow people if press copy or properites or anything you get a message saying not to. Those can help many sites. But what is the difference of Trademark and Copyright?

159286[/snapback]

The difference between Trademark and Copyright is quite simple. Copyright is as described the protection of intelectual property, where as trademark is a registration of the Mark of your Trade. Thus Kleenex is trademarked because it refers to a specific brand. Same as Microsoft is the trade name of Microsoft Inc. and is trademarked. Basically a trademark is simply a name that no one else has the right to use. There are some interesting rules regarding bending those rules, I don't know all of them but ones such as you couldn't use Micro$oft as a name because it is too close to MicroSoft, however you could use Micro$oft if it was a parody. Also if a brand name of a particular item becomes too popular as such a household name such as kleenex they run the risk of losing thier tradmark rights because of this, kleenex has been to court several times and as such still maintains the trademark, but I think it is a fine line. Does that answer you question?

I've read the site http://www.whatiscopyright.org/ too. Found it very interesting. I have however a question, maybe you guys can answer: if I am correct, you can't copyright facts. Let's say I want to make a site with cheats of popular first person shooters. Could I copy those cheats from other 'cheatsites'?

It is just an example, I'm not going to make such site, but it was the first thing it came up in me  :P  B)

158775[/snapback]

Well, as you said, you cannot copyright factual information. You could only copyright the means in which you present the information. For example, if the author you copied from had numerous spelling and/or grammar errors in his compilation and you had those same errors... it could be considered plaigarism.

It's a grey area indeed.

This is all very interesting. Thanks :P .. I have a few questions though, that I haven't found the answer to. Does anyone know if it's ok to set up a gallery on your site, filled with all sorts of images you find on google and such, as long as you do not claim any copyright? If you make a fansite for example, then you can't provide all photos of people and such yourself.. How about videos? Can you make direct links to videos on diffeent news sites and so, as long as you credit the sites?

green fairy, that is only ok if the images you use are covered under the "fair use" clause or are allowed by the owner of the copyright. As for the direct links, well yes and no, if you are linking to a video on another site technically it is fine, if you are feeding it directly to your site it is still technically a copyright infringment.

the thing is though people will be debating copyright web design for years, unless you patent your web design cuz someone will hijack the design and then change it just enough and claim it as their own, becca was a good example someone, hijacked her site and then claimed it as their own, they even had the design on the t17 account as well.hmm wonder whatever happen about that situation with becca and the hijacker.now on the music being on websites thats a big issue that people have been talking about, i believe as long as your not selling the music for your benefit then its ok. But like i said my opinions on this are many, some right some wrong you decide.