xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
BuffaloHelp

Geocaching this is not your average treasure hunt

In order to tighten the forum rule on WHAT IS? section, I introduce to you a sample of what is expected--with all due respect to those who already understand this section.

What is Geocaching?

Think back to your childhood. Do you remember playing hide and go seek? Now, fast forward into the future and you have a device that tells you where others are hiding, right down to less than an inch away from the hiding place. This is the game of Geocaching. Using todays incredible technology called GPS, Global Positioning System, you are given the exact coordinates to where a treasure is buried. Your equipment: a GPS device. Your weapon: only your wits.

It was designed to give a GPS unit much more usage in daily entertainment life rather than using only when you are lost. Geocaching is a game where a participant can burry, usually in a box, some kind of item stored inside. And this participant can release the location using only its coordinates to Geocachings official website. Then, the players of Geocaching would try to find this buried box using GPS to locate the treasure. Once found, the players may take the item stored and, in exchange, leave something valuable--either valuable in monetary or memento--to replace the item taken from the treasure box. This treasure box is known as cache.

The rules of this game are simple. You take something from this cache and leave anything from your possession in the cache. And you should always report online as a form of blog of your experience. This journal can be a reflection of your experience, reporting missing cache or a comment on the item found. But do not spoil the fun by writing the ways to find the cache. Since it is an interactive game with people all over the world, your journal should be found where anyone can find it easily--either in Geocachings forum or your personal blog that is open to everyone.

There are variations to this game. Instead of simply finding a cache, you can have multiple cashes that the first one leads to the next cache and so on. I started my Geocaching 1 year ago when I observed, what I thought to be, a tourist looking around Lincolns memorial statue. As it turns out, a cache was hidden under Lincolns right arm. The seeker had to climb 2 feet to reach the cache. And this is another example of Geocaching. Some participants would lead seekers through various historical or landmark sites to give the area tour at the same time giving goals to seekers to find the treasure.

If you are interested in Geocaching, visit the current official website Geocaching. And a happy hunting!

My geography teacher was telling me about this! He said when he retired from his crappy job as teaching this would be his hobby. So you GeoCache? Have you hidden anything or found any caches?Very nice way to start off the improved What Is...? Forum, not only did you clean it out, but you're keeping it clean too :unsure:

Wow, very interesting idea! :)Looks well planned and should be real fun, specially when we think hat we know new places and monuments, and still have a good time looking for the cache.I would surely join up and try to find a near cache from my house.. but the problem on this project is that you need a GPS device to participate.. :DAnd usually GPS cost from 100$ to 600$.. and i don't think that my dad would really approve the idea of spending that money on a "unnecessary" GPS device..

Heh, My old geography teacher in 6th grade used to love to do this. She wouldent stop talking about it for like a week >_> I was thinking why is this important to us at all, i highly doubt a bunch of teens would have a GPS. It sounded fun except it would cost around 200$ for a GPS. Thanks for the website SM i might try it some time.

I used to do a little geocaching with some friends from college. It's a good excuse to get outside and do something. Now with better portable gps devices it must be a lot easier. Our old etrex could only function as a compass while you were moving. So sometimes we had to walk in random directions out in the woods to find which way to go.