xisto Community
Yipster

Ipv4 Vs. Ipv6 IPV6 the future.

Another article I did to compare IPV4 and IPV6.

Ipv4 vs. Ipv6

Ipv4 is the fourth version of Internet protocol, but the first one to be widely deployed. It uses a 32 bit addressing and allows for 4,294,967,296 unique addresses. Ipv4 has four different class types, the class types are A, B, C, and D. An example of Ipv4 is 207. 142. 131. 235. The ipv4 uses a subnet mask because of the large numbers of computers used today.

The subnet mask helps reduce the number of unique IP given to companies, corporations and so on. An example of a subnet mask is a company. A architectural company is given one ip address to use in their company. The IP that they are given is the class C addresses, 192. 182. 162. 0. However, the employees want to send information about the plan to a fellow employee. The default subnet mask is 255. 255. 255. 0 this default is used so that people can send instant messages to each other without downloading programs such as MSN messenger. The 0 in the subnet mask allows you to have 16 different networks having 14 computers per network allowing you to have a total of 224 computers in the company. You can create these networks by modifying the 0 the only number you can modify in the network. In the binary version of the 0 of the subnet mask it looks like this 0000. You can modify the numbers from 0000 1111. Those numbers will represent your network, you will then need numbers for your computer. When adding the numbers for the computer your IP would look like this in tens. 255.255.255.0-0 the zero after the dash represents your computer number. The way you can modify the number is the same as the network number, the difference is that you can only the numbers 0001-1110 in other words you cannot have all ones or all zeros. For further reference there is a diagram in the next page.

Ipv6 is the next in the advancement of IPs. Although it is version 6 it will probably be the next widely deployed Internet protocol. Compared to the Ipv4 which allows for only 4,294,967,296 unique addresses, the Ipv6 that uses a 128-bit system will hold 340-undecillion (34, 000, 000, 000, 000, 000, 000, 000, 000, 000, 000, 000, 000) this number is so vast that there are more unique ip addresses than stars in the universe, as we know it. However, the Ipv6 will not come out till at least 2025 in because they need time to fix the bugs in the protocol. An example of Ipv6 is:

207. 142. 131. 235. 207. 142. 131. 235. 207. 142. 131. 235. 207. 142. 131. 235.

The reason we may need to switch from Ipv4 to Ipv6 is because of the population of the world. The rate at which the worlds population is growing is nothing to look down at. Also in the future all vehicles will probably be networked in order to use Onstar or other navigational devices and those need IPs too. So eventually we would need more unique IPs than the number we have now.

Resources:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subnetwork

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ipv6

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ipv4

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Please inform me of any typos or grammar errors. Thx in advance.

I heard about this before.

Check out this

Federal agencies must use the next-generation Internet service known as Internet protocol version 6 (IPv6) by June 2008, the White House Office of Management and Budget announced Wednesday.

http://www.govexec.com/technology/2005/06/omb-agencies-must-use-advanced-internet-by-2008/19554/

Wow, looks like its going to be phased in rather fast.

The other reason is that the majority of IPv4 addresses were assigned to North America. Countries in Asia especially are now having problems with clashing IP addresses because they were originally assigned so few.This is not a racist, or power thing, the reason it's like this is because the internet grew from being a US military project.

There are a LOT of errors in this article. To start with, there are 5 classes of IPv4 addresses, not 4. He left out Class E (reserved by the IETF), and he didn't mention that Class D addresses are used only for multi casting, and are therefor completely unusable. I think he means to say "subnet mask" when he says that the computer's IP would be 255.255.255.0. Other errors include the fact that IPv6 is already out in a small sense, it will almost definitely become widespread much sooner than 2025, and the current implementations of the protocol represent IPv6 addresses in hex rather than in dot decimal.

When you have a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0, you will not have any subnets. If your subnet mask was 255.255.255.224 then yes you will have 16 possible subnets with 32 possible hosts. Cisco recommends that you do not use subnet 0 or 31 and not to use he subnet network ID and network broadcast ID in your subnet range, so that will lead to 14 usable subnets with 30 usable hosts.-Dude

The basic difference between the IPv4 and IPv6 is the address length. V4 is 32 bit address and V6 is 64 bit address. So it obviously increases the addressing range for the internet. It also provides a completely midified set of protocols with extra features and it completely restructures the TCP/IP stack in all layers.

IPv4 to IPv6 , many of my friend were asking me why this migration from one IP to another version, then as i read books i understood the need for this migration.In todays world almost each one has a need of more that one IP , for example , his laptop needs one , desktop one, mobile phone needs one, in such an increasing demand for the IP address we cant go exausted of IP , so that we have migrated to IP6 any way there is a good backward compactablity so that people using the old IP neednt be afraid.

The facts

Ipv4 Vs. Ipv6

IPv6 is 128 bit address represented with hex notation. It will provided 16 billion billion addresses (2 to the power of 128).

IPv6 was deployed in 1999 and will be run alongside IPv4 for many years to come.

IP subnet zero is commonly used when VLSM is implemented in network design (using the "IP subnet zero" command on a Cisco router) and Cisco would endorse this use of subnet zero, however that would obviously need to be in conjunction with a classless routing protocol such as RIPv2 or OSPF.

Check out this fast sheet on IPv6, written by ARIN.

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Cisco has amended this concept. You can now use "subnet zero". But just remember, 2^and-2, you lose the first (network address) and last (broadcast address) of each subnet, I.E. You lose 2 addresses per subnet.  For example 255.255.255.252 would leave four bit positions open, yet only have two usable addresses. Booya!

IPV6 ip addressing is the future and will soon take over IPV4 ip addressing. The problem with this is, I absolutely hate IPV6 but I guess that could be that it's not as straight forward as IPV4. IPV4 is simple, every internet connection has a certain ip address in the form of 123.456.7.89.IPV6 is a little more confusion. The calculations are in the posts above my one. An ipv6 address is in the form of: 2001:0DB8:AC10:FE01.I guess I should spend more time looking into IPV6 as this is going to be the future :(I don't really understand IPV6 at present :(

Edited by GrumbleBall (see edit history)

IPv6 is based on IPv4, it is an evolution of IPv4. So many things that we find with IPv6 are familiar to us. The main differences are:

1.Simplified header format. IPv6 has a fixed length header, which does not include most of the options an IPv4 header can include. Even though the IPv6 header contains two 128 bit addresses (source and destination IP address) the whole header has a fixed length of 40 bytes only. This allows for faster processing.

Options are dealt with in extension headers, which are only inserted after the IPv6 header if needed. So for instance if a packet needs to be fragmented, the fragmentation header is inserted after the IPv6 header. The basic set of extension headers is defined in RFC 2460.

2.Address extended to 128 bits. This allows for hierarchical structure of the address space and provides enough addresses for almost every 'grain of sand' on the earth. Important for security and new services/devices that will need multiple IP addresses and/or permanent connectivity.

3.A lot of the new IPv6 functionality is built into ICMPv6 such as Neighbor Discovery, Autoconfiguration, Multicast Listener Discovery, Path MTU Discovery.

4.Enhanced Security and QoS Features.

Answer:

IPv4 means Internet Protocol version 4, whereas IPv6 means Internet Protocol version 6.

IPv4 is 32 bits IP address that we use commonly, it can be 192.168.8.1, 10.3.4.5 or other 32 bits IP addresses. IPv4 can support up to 232 addresses, however the 32 bits IPv4 addresses are finishing to be used in near future, so IPv6 is developed as a replacement.

IPv6 is 128 bits, can support up to 2128 addresses to fulfill future needs with better security and network related features. Here are some examples of IPv6 address:

1050:0:0:0:5:600:300c:326b

ff06::c3

0:0:0:0:0:0:192.1.56.10

<ins style="border-style: none; margin: 0px; padding: 0px; visibility: visible; width: 468px; position: relative; height: 60px"></ins>

The most important difference is that it has a larger address space. IPv6 uses 128 bits, instead of the 32 bits used in an IPv4 address.

There are also some changes in the header format, and some additional options, like built-in security options. These can be added to IPv4 through additional protocols, so this is really no big deal.

IPv4 is like 10.36.05.2 while IPv6 is one huge garble.

IPv4 is a 32 bits IP address that we use commonly, it can be 192.168.8.1, 10.3.4.5 or other 32 bits IP addresses. IPv4 can support up to 232 addresses, however the 32 bits IPv4 addresses are finishing to be used in near future, so IPv6 is developed as a replacement.

IPv6 is 128 bits, can support up to 2128 addresses to fulfill future needs with better security and network related features.

Here are some examples of IPv6 address:

1050:0:0:0:5:600:300c:326b

ff06::c3

0:0:0:0:0:0:192.1.56.10

For More help, you can visit website:http://www.iyogibusiness.com/

The main difference, at least the one that is most relevant for a transition from version 4 to version 6, is the length of the addresses. IPv4 uses 4 bytes; IPv6 uses 16 bytes for the address.

Mainly, IPv6 has a larger addressing space; IPv6 addresses use 128 bits instead of 32 bits.