xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Neutrality

An Overly-callous Society An overly-callous populace

Is it just me, or is the world [ specifically the Western Society ] far too callous? I'm really noticing a trend in people's attitude and opinions - they seem so callous, and people in general seem "far-gone". Many people these days just seem so uncompassionate - uncompassionate to the point of being selfish. I understand that it's not any else's business what someone is doing in their private life and what not. I have no problem with this. I'm just getting annoyed with people these days just excepting whatever the hell these people do in their private lives, no matter how grave some things can be. They just react by shrugging their shoulders and continue to pretend that the world is a wonderful place where nothing can go wrong, no matter what a person does "behind closed doors".I was watching Larry King a few days ago about the missing Alabama girl Holloway [ I forget her first name ]. Her step-parents I think were being interviewed [ wait...maybe the father was her biological father ]. After a few minutes, I couldn't comprehend how uncompassionate they were. They spoke as if this was just some casual event that occurs on a regular basis. The mother was constantly fixing her earring, and the father was a bit too "optimistic" [ he said that he was very optimistic that the investigators and police were doing a good job looking for her ]. Don't you see something wrong with that statement?He said that, but he didn't say that he was optimisitic in them finding her. What kind of loving parent would say that? That's just one example of the growing cold-heartedness of society, of the world - and of people in general. Maybe I'm just sick of how "far-gone" this world is? I digress.

Is it just me, or is the world [ specifically the Western Society ] far too callous? I'm really noticing a trend in people's attitude and opinions - they seem so callous, and people in general seem "far-gone". Many people these days just seem so uncompassionate - uncompassionate to the point of being selfish. I understand that it's not any else's business what someone is doing in their private life and what not. I have no problem with this. I'm just getting annoyed with people these days just excepting whatever the hell these people do in their private lives, no matter how grave some things can be. They just react by shrugging their shoulders and continue to pretend that the world is a wonderful place where nothing can go wrong, no matter what a person does "behind closed doors".

I was watching Larry King a few days ago about the missing Alabama girl Holloway [ I forget her first name ]. Her step-parents I think were being interviewed [ wait...maybe the father was her biological father ]. After a few minutes, I couldn't comprehend how uncompassionate they were. They spoke as if this was just some casual event that occurs on a regular basis. The mother was constantly fixing her earring, and the father was a bit too "optimistic" [ he said that he was very optimistic that the investigators and police were doing a good job looking for her ]. Don't you see something wrong with that statement?

He said that, but he didn't say that he was optimisitic in them finding her. What kind of loving parent would say that?

That's just one example of the growing cold-heartedness of society, of the world - and of people in general. Maybe I'm just sick of how "far-gone" this world is? I digress.

156564[/snapback]

I think a big part of it is focus on ourselves rather then others. People worry about what they're owed rather then their responsibilities. My pastor spoke recently on how comparison is the enemy of contentment. We look at what others have and want it, and ultimately we're focusing so much on ourselves and what's right for us we no longer can see things from the views of others. We're becoming so utterly egocentric that we can't feel the pain of others.

The world says now to "do what's right for you" or "do what makes you feel good" and we're so focused on our own pleasures and "fun" that we refuse to look at any higher authority. The reason horrific crimes are becoming so commonplace is that even as the world tries to say there is no God it unconsciously sends the message that there is no ultimate law and something is wrong only if it's wrong for us. The world says we should cheat and steal and do whatever it takes to reach the top with the people the world idolizes. And the only rule it says is to not get caught.

Once people had an easier time focusing on other people, now they focus only on the belongings the world sells to them and tries so hard to make them covet.