xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
kvarnerexpress

Fedora Core

I just recently downloaded Fedora Core 4 (4CDs) and burned them to disc. When I try to boot from it my computer just restarts. So I tried it out on another computer, worked fine and the disc passed the test saying I could install from it. Is this a RAM issue or a CD drive issue? I tried to boot from Knoppix too once but that failed, and guess what - it worked on the other computer. Any help appreciated.Thanks

It can be unsupported hardware(!!!). I've also had this problem with knoppix. Try to make LFS (Linux From Scratch). It can be easier, than looking for another distribution.
Here is the adress for LFS instructions: http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/

Yup - if both distributions failed in booting on the same computer - it's 100% a hardware problem - specially since they're working on your other system. Why don't you try something - exchange the CD drive with the other one for a while and try installing. If it succeeds, then, well you know where it was going wrong.If not - then it's a bigger compatibility issue - maybe the mainboard or some other conflicting hardware.. something or the other.

You migth be able to solve this by changing settings in your BIOS. A friend of mine had a machine that didn't work (with linux) until he turn on USB Legacy support...

I was very disappointed with Fedora previously. I used to have i810 motherboard with the normal Intel Graphics which the Great Fedora seemed to dislike. So the point is, Fedora does not support i810 display driver (intel). I hope in the latest version (4) they do support it. Also, I was aware that they did support it in their previous versions. So.. the Question was.. Why did they remove the support ?Anyway, Now I use SUSE. Quite happy with it :rolleyes:

badinfluence:Sounds like you need to go into your BIOS and make sure that the CDROM is the first device to boot up from. Also, depending on some Manufacturers you may have to hit F11 or F12 during boot up to have a screen pop up to choose which device to boot up from. I have installed FD 4 on a Microtel (Wal-Mart) PC with no problem, Dell, and old COMPAQ running Pentium 500 Mhz processor with 512 Megs of RAM. no issues installing on either of those. So, before changing your CDROM out check and see if your CDROM is the first booting device and not your HDD.OpaQue:Concerning the i810 issue, I have not had that issue. I loaded Fedora COre 3 on and IBM using the i810 and had no probs. What exactly did yours do?