xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
cse-icons

Credit Card Info Stolen... Security Breach

hi,

The credit card breaches are starting to occur more frequently now.. (at least twice in last two months.. as far as I remember). Read the following article:

In what could be the largest data security breach to date, MasterCard International on Friday said information on more than 40 million credit cards may have been stolen.
Of those exposed accounts, about 13.9 million are for MasterCard-branded cards, the company said in a statement. Some 20 million Visa-branded cards may have been affected and the remaining accounts were other brands, including American Express and Discover.

MasterCard and Visa both say they have notified their member banks of the specific accounts involved so the banks can take action to protect cardholders.

"In sheer numbers, this is probably one of the largest data security breaches," said James Van *person*, principal analyst at Javelin Strategy & Research in Pleasanton, Calif.

Credit Card Breach : CNet News.com

So how safe are we with credit cards now?? It is time the credit card companies take more care and security measures to prevent such fraud.

Today, a credit card can be used online just by knowing the number and few other details. The security mechanism should be such that some sort of password is also required for authentication...

After all, I would not be paying for someone else's purchase....

Cheers.

Oh yeah, this stuff is becoming a problem. I remember some years back when someone at a local store where I live was caught with a device he/she brought in and used when he/she worked as a cashier. Someone caught here swiping the card into two machines, one for the store, and one that stored the information into the machine that was brought in...wow.Additionally, a guy I work with came in today all ticked off, and guess why? Oh yeah, he used his credit card online and his information was stolen. Personally, I'm 20 years old and I still don't have a credit card. I'm gonna stay away from them as long as I can, because honestly they're nothing but trouble. I have a checking account, and I'll only use the money I've earned...

I'm just hoping that its only credit card that were effected. I have a Visa Debit Card and I used it yesterday to buy a domain. I'm just hoping that nothing gets stolen. I'm nervous now. :rolleyes: