xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Furor

Make Your Own Barcode using Photoshop

My friend thought me this Photoshop tutorial a while ago and I thought to share it with you guys.

I've tried to keep it as simple as possible. This should work with any version of the software.

This is the first time I've written a tutorial, so please guide me if I'm wrong anywhere. And I do hope that the images posted in this tutorial are just wide enough to fit the page. :lol:

Step 1

Open up an image of any dimension you prefer. I've used 300 by 300.

Now press "D" to change the colour palette to the default black and white.

Now press CTRL+Delete to apply the background colour (which is white).

Now select the Rectangular Marquee Tool. Now when you select this tool, the toolbar displays a list of options. Select the following:

Style: Fixed Size

Width: 150 px (This completely depends on you)

Height: 1 px (Make sure that this remains 1 whatever the width)

Posted Image

Step 2

Now single-click in the middle of the canvas. It?s not necessary that?s it?s the exact middle. It should look something like this:

Posted Image

Step 3

Now click on the new layer button with the selection still active. Now press CTRL+Delete again to fill in your selection. It doesn?t matter how it looks like for now. Just leave it as it is.

Now click on Filter > Noise > Add Noise

Posted Image

Step 4

A pop-up box will appear with options for this filter. Increase the amount to 400%. Check the ?Uniform? option under Distribution, and also check the Monochromatic option, and click OK.

Posted Image

Step 5

Now press CTRL+T to select the transformation tool; and pull the selection upwards to a desired height; and click on the tick mark button to accept the transformation; and you?re done

Posted Image

Use your imagination to use it. You could also change the layer properties to use over images and stuff.

Posted Image

Hope you liked this tutorial; if you have any queries regarding this, please post.

:rolleyes:

And to think, I almost bought myself the bar code making software... This beats me sitting down and making lines up and down 50 times... :rolleyes: Excellent and very innovative way to approach one of Adobe's effects.

HI,
WO WOOW thats is cool. forget that wasp bar code system!!!!!.. now... will systems acually recognize those?

No it won't recognise those basically because it's randomly created; and not for commecial use. :rolleyes:

Thanks guys, really appreciate the feedback. I'll post more tutorials soon. :lol:

No it won't recognise those basically because it's randomly created; and not for commecial use. :rolleyes:

Thanks guys, really appreciate the feedback. I'll post more tutorials soon. :lol:

154614[/snapback]

that cool

154614[/snapback]

HI,

i was thinksing you know.. like all bar codes the system has to read it first to record it. then from then on it will recognize it every time you scan it. So maybe yours can work too! just make it to specs with like a regular bar code size and darkness, and mybe it will work...knowing how teh system actually works!

yoyomama

party till barcadi,

jerryjamn in da club

Thats cool thanks for sharing that with us! Too bad that I don't have Adobe Photoshop (its too expensive for me). I also think that was an easy to understand tutorial so great job.

Yeah neat thing.

Just a few comments about "real" bar codes and such. As has been pointed out, this is just noise made to look like a bar code, and wouldn't be recognised by any reader.

If you want a real, working bar code you could visit Scott Blake's Bar Code Art, he explains how bar codes work. I could have sworn there was a page where you could type in a few characters and it would generate a Code 128 bar code from it, but I can't find it on the site anymore. Luckily I found another site that did it: Bar code mill, which lets you type a few characters and choose the encoding.

Hi,yeah photoshop is very expenisve, but it's so amazing all this things you are do and acieve on it1! WOWOWOWOWO WOWOWO!!!! HOLY COW. But you can get Photosop Ellements for $100, it removes ONE thing from the orginal photoshop, cna't remember what it is, but it's that expensive to bost teh price 700+ LOL.yeah, ADOBE PHOTOSHOP ELEMENTS! :rolleyes: yeah,yoyoyoyomamaam,party! Farty,jerryjeamn

I've seen these type of tuts a lot of places.. I really enjoy this one.I am not the greatest photoshop user, but I do my fairshare of using it. I hope you put out more tuts to help the newer users out.