xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
dodgerblue

Advanced Guestbook 2.3.1 Spam Issue Anyone has this problem?

I use the Advanced Guestbook script for my site guestbook and lately I've been getting lots of spam.I looked through the files and noticed there doesn't seem to be a way to stop this; even the guestbook on the Advanced Guestbook site itself contains tons of spam.Does anyone know of a way to prevent this? Or do I have to change guestbooks... Again?? :lol: My friends are all going to be really tired of me asking them to repeatedly sign again and again :rolleyes:

I was invited via my guest book to join Sisters With Heart webring. When I went to the site to check it out, I became suspicious. You cannot view whatever is within their site without joining their webring. This is supposed to be a group of "Christian" women. Their rules seem predjudicial. Rules I didn't know that one had to be over 18 to be a Christian. Then I went to their sign-up page and met with be bevy of information requests that I don't feel necessary to join a webring. See what you think. Join Sisters With Heart Webring Why would they need all that private information just to join a webring? What possible kind of emergency could arise that would necessitate their need to contact you via snail mail?

Could this be a form of spam? Among other things, they do not have a notice about gathering information, which is what they are doing. That may explain why you have to be 18 to join. What good is information about a minor? But the information they have gathered, if you choose to give it, would provide them with all the information they would need to do most anything illegal if this is their intent.

Anyway, their "by invitation only" seems not too Christian to me. I think I will remove this entry in my Guest Book.

Edited by Mich (see edit history)