xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
elusive-shadows

Viruses Something I heard...

Viruses are passed on through networks, and interchanged by servers, and people.If you leave your computer on with adequate protection you are safe.If you shield on a firewall, an anti-virus, then you are safe.It is mostly when you are visiting or downloading a file is when the viruses starts to attack you.Otherwise, if you do not have internet explorer surfing on Automatic Random mode, then you are safe.If you do not have Kazza running, then you are safe.Zone Alarm is a must if you are going to keep your computer on overnight. It detects whenever a program wants to install (itself), when a program wants to access the internet, or in otherwords when anything happen.And until you accept and sign its passport, it will deny it from doing anything.

i see... i leave my pc and internet online overnight since i do much of my downloading at those times..i have a firewall tooand if some hacker does plan to explot my pc, i dont see anything that he would find useful inside it though :Dunless hed eb interested in lotsaa mp3s ad anime pics and such

Basically, it's not about leaving your computer on. It's about leaving your internet connection on. And yes, in some cases it's true that if you leave your internet connection on for too long your computer is more prone to viruses, spywares, adwards, and stuff of those sort. And it also depends the way you use your computer. I mean the software you install. Software that run in your background (like Kazaa) will have more probability of acquiring a virus than a computer without one. Post a reply if you need more explanation. Hope this helped.

-_-

153894[/snapback]

Ha.. I agree with his post.. Its your internet that transmits data to your computer, of course your computer have to be turned on. Well I think if you have an antivirus of firewall software, being online for days continuously isn't a problem, or else how web servers or email servers survive? You just got to worry your electricity bills.

An exception: if you have any peer-to-peer software installed, especially Kazaa, don't get online too often, you might just be spammed with pop-ups or uninvited trojan horses, viruses or any security threats. Kazaa is well known to deliver all these, so does other peer-to-peer software. Best way to solve this: reformat your computer, and don't install any peer-to-peer software, avoid stuffs related to Kazaa.

That's is an interesting question and although I wouldn't be able to answer it 100% I would think that it is extremely unlikely as viruses "get in" through activity on the internet. You would have to actively be doing something on the internet, thus retrieving data for a virus to get onto your system. Although if you have spyware running, the spyware may also allow viruses in as they connect to servers at particular times or in particular intervals. The easiest way to prevent it would be to disconnect from the web or enable a firewall that lets nothing in or nothing out of your system when you are not active on the computer itself. Would anybody else here agree with me?

154090[/snapback]

Not quite, a virus does not require activity on the internet, just a connection. You do not have to be downloading, and you don't have to have spyware. If your computer is identified as a target by some viruses the virus will continually attempt to load itself into your computer regardless of activity. But yes the easiest protection is to disconnect from the internet anytime you are not using the internet. Of course you should also have a firewall of some sort.

Yes, thanks, it makes more sense now.  And M67, you're not really supposed to leave your computer on that long, it's bad for it.  That's probably why it's having problems.  You should try running a virus scan anyway, and maybe use hibernate(if you're using Windows XP) instead of leaving it on.

153911[/snapback]

Not true at all, it is not bad for the computer to keep it running all the time. Actually, depending on how much use your computer gets, it can be better for the computer to stay running 24/7 rather than being shut down. During the PC powerup the computer recieves the most stress to its circuitry. It is like a lightbulb, a lightbulb is most likely to burn out when it is first turned on, the reason for this is rapid heating up, from cold to hot in a matter of secconds. This rapid heating is a source of extreme stress to metals, the wireing in electronics is very fine and can break, while it is true that leaving a PC on all the time will shorten its life span, so does the simple act of turning it on. A basic rule of thumb I go by is, if you are going to be using the computer a lot every day, and it would only really get rest during the night, don't bother turning it off, or if you would be turning on and off the computer more than 3 times a day, don't bother turning it off at all.

Lets see here.....Virus all suck but there are kill them and i have kill many virus useing anti virus norton and some other some stuff i think u guys sould make your own firewall and anti virus cuz my friend did and he comp cant be hacke di like wow thats awnsome man i wish i had something like that cuz then no chould hack em HAHAH

Heres some gayass virus.....My doom is one worse virus in world so don't let it get in your comp your u will be *BLEEP*ed use anti-virus program or bult your own or use a comp or u can just get new harddrive or something or reforum your comp cuz it destorys yoour comp really fast so whatch out for it

I agree!

To get a virus someone has to really put it there and they can only really do that if you have the internet running or someone actually manually puts it into your computer by going to your house.

If you leave your computer on longer then it won't really make you get viruses. But if you leave your internet connection running for a long time then there is more change that you will receive a virus as the person that is trying to put the virus on your computer will have more time.

Basically, it's not about leaving your computer on. It's about leaving your internet connection on. And yes, in some cases it's true that if you leave your internet connection on for too long your computer is more prone to viruses, spywares, adwards, and stuff of those sort. And it also depends the way you use your computer. I mean the software you install. Software that run in your background (like Kazaa) will have more probability of acquiring a virus than a computer without one. Post a reply if you need more explanation. Hope this helped.

-_-

153894[/snapback]