xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
ManOfSTEEL

Problem With My Cdrom CD ROM drive not functioning

Hello everybody, I'm new here, this is my first post in the forum. I found Xisto from one of my friend. Anyway, I just purchased a CDROM drive last year I don't mention the brand of that one.actually it's a CR Writer also, before the performance was very impressive infact maybe I just copied many cd's using that writer, but lately it just turn like a crazy thing open and then close eventhough I don't touched the button. sometime it works normal but when I used it for maybe 1 to 2 hours and up, its the same problem.My friend told me that my I got spyware that send command to my pc, or maybe a virus or what. I can still use the drive but not so often. Sometimes, when I pushed the open button it won't work, what I did is to pushed the small hole near the eject button with a paper clip just to open the cd rom drive. but if it open, same thing happened.. open close, close open and then open close again...I'm about to buy another one, but do yo think I can still fixed my old writer? or replaced it with a new one? :rolleyes:

Try running your OS on safe mode for a while. Keep it idle, and see if this problem still occours. If it doesn't happen (in the safe mode) then there is a possibility of an external program installed in your computer that is causing this hijack. Run MSConfig (Start > Run > msconfig) and shut off all unwanted items from the start-up and try running your PC then. It could also be a hardware failure. If nothing works, then I guess you'll have to purchase a new one. Or probably try borrowing one from your friends to try.

i had one that did that. it burned out some circuit due to a power surge, and would randomly open and close whenever it felt like it. i took it in for repair and the tech said it would be cheaper to buy a new one..............

Hi ManOfSTEEL,Both Furor & Styx are correct.First, Scan your computer for virus, spyware etc. Second, check your "msconfig" file.Third, do a hardware troubleshoot for parts problems. Be sure to checl ALL your ribbon (IDE) drive cables & connections.That should solve it for you.Hope this helpsRGPHNXPS-iF YOU NEED MORE HELP POST BACK.

well sounds like this is solved but yeah there are other ways to check if the cdrom is broken or if you computer is just jacked up...try pluging the cdrom into another computer and see if it still gets the same effects if you cant do that then try the other methods above,try runnin a anti virus and spyware programs. good spyware is right on microsoft.com its the antispyware beta or w/eif none of those work if you can do this try reloading your os and hope it fixes the problem.then if that dosnt work then you either 1 need to get it fixed or 2 buy a new one.

what you could do is make sure that it's stable with your operating system. cause sometimes what happens is that your windows or mac doesnt support it and as soon as you open the cd rom door it closes because it wont support an input. check your owner's manual.

If you're still having problems, you can either buy a new one for $40, or simply try getting a new driver. Also be sure your burner is getting enough cool air on it, otherwise, like all hardware, you may have problems with it.