xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
eXtreme

Search Engines Ranking How Search Engines work

Hey everyone! :PEveryone knows that search engines are present in our every day life. Some people cant find the meaning of internet withouth search engines. They are the ones that LINK all the internet pages together.So its a need for every web developper that he can understand how search engines work. So for this topic ill use the two more famous search engines in the world: Google and Yahoo.Theres a simple example that we can do easily to show us that search engines work and search things *differently*. Try for yourself: Open your browser in google and yahoo. Then search exactly the same string on both. Are the results the same for both engines? No! Why?Search engines show different results when using the same string to search because they all have a different ranking algorithms.And how can sites achieve a better ranking in search engines than anothers? Because they have more good sites linking back to them and more content than the another competitor website, and google ranking is mainly that: link popularity and content.Though if i wrote the same string in yahoo, i would get sometimes, completely different results. Thats because yahoo search sites that are the most related to the keyword writed in the search line.So what really matters are the algorithms thats behind all search engines (think that as the kernel of search engines.) Search Engines can have exactly the same site index, but they will show different results with the same keyword because of their ranking algorithms.A exemple of a simple ranking algorithms would be:+20 related keywords [+] +20 link back sites [+] +20 available pages [+] +100 written words = Give first place on rankIf you want a good site rank in search engines you need to have always these 2 in your head: Good link popularity and good content.Thats the biggest problem with new sites :( They need good sites linking back to you and lots of good content. And that they can only achieve with time. :P----------------------------------This article was first writed by me for my website: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ and is available there. Some small changes were made for this Xisto forum version.-Dan

Google's algorithm is much more complicated than that. Google also takes into factor the keyword density, PR, and of course if the site is listed in Dmoz that is a huge factor. Put all of those properties into a very complicated formula, then you get the Google algorithm.

hi,google creators are big nerds that went to nice colleges, they smart computer nerds, thats how they created the best algorithum in the world to serach for internet sites. They are young millionaries for criing out loud, they have made mine and everyone else lives a A LOT EASIER. thanks you goold staff.thanks,jmanjerry

That?s true... and that?s the big problem of Internet. You can have lots of good contents but if you don?t have links in popular sites (somthing difficult as long your website isn?t corporative and probably small if you carry it alone) or pay directly to be in the first positions, people won?t find you although you offer what they want. :rolleyes:

Sprnknwn, that's really true. :rolleyes:

In these days Webmasters need to pass weeks optimizing their website to be the most SEO friendly possible.

And you're right too, htmlmaster. The keyword density does matter alot when trying to achieve a better rank. :lol:

And the best think every webmaster should do is really submit their site to DMOZ. Google crawls the sites that can be found on DMOZ's database, and as their selected by humans, it really counts when you're trying to achieve a better rank.

The major problem these days is really to get another webmasters that own good, huge, quality sites to linkback to you.

Normally you can always try to send them an e-mail asking. But everyone now thinks that SEO = Money. That's why it's hard to get people linking back. Usually to want to earn some money from your ads too. :D

What about your question, fsastraps, it doesn't really matter where's located the good content on your page. Though you must be sure that the INDEX page, the first of all, does has good content and keywords.

Cause, after going to your index page, google spiders crawl all the another links you may have, but for that, you need to have the links of the pages in your INDEX page!!! Something like this:

---|About Me Page

INDEX[b/] --- |Jokes Page

----|Videos Page

----|Downloads Page

If anyone as any question left, please ask and i'll try to answer.

Hi:When I read about keywords, i changed my page to include the word "histology". So, rather than just say "bone" for example, I now say "histology of bone". My readers all knew I was always referring to "histology of bone", but it was just understood. (My page is a histology page). Google did not know that when I said "bone" I meant "histology of bone". So now, I put in the word "histology of...". So now, both the humans and the search engines now exactly what I mean. Histology is no longer implied.It made a big difference in where google finds my page. Just this change alone, a HUGE difference.Sunkist