xisto Community
varunone

Real Reason Behind Apple's Move INTELs Dominance In The Digital World

According to Steven P Jobs, he had promised both a 3-gigahertz Macintosh as well as a more powerful PowerPC-based portable computer, promises that he had not been able to deliver. Jobs was given no choice but to move his business to Intel.

IBM executives said that without additional Apple investment they were unwilling to pursue the faster and lowerpower chips he badly needs for his laptop business.Technical issues were secondary to the business issues, Because the business was not profitable, IBM, decided not to continue to go ahead with the product road map.

But Jobs disputed this assessment, simply stating that IBM had failed to meet its technology road map. The issues in the end, he said, came down to speed and the absence of a chip that consumed less electricity than traditional processors designed for PCs.

Now I am wondering whether Jobs is really moving to INTEL for designing better machines (which they realised quite late) or is it that he is trying to SAVE his falling company ?

Now that Jobs has broken up with IBM, Apple is free to pursue a potentially intriguing consumer electronics strategy with Intel. Intel has been looking for ways to get its chips into devices that can compete with game consoles as living-room entertainment hubs. In fact, all three video game machines made by Microsoft, Nintendo and Sony are based on IBM chips.

And analysts say that both Microsofts Xbox 360 and the Sony PlayStation 3, scheduled to arrive next spring, will be positioned as home media hubs in addition to being video game machines and priced far lower than the Intel-powered, Windows Media Centre PCs that are also aimed at the living room. Should the new consoles find wide acceptance as broad-based entertainment engines, Intel will need to respond.

This is only leading to INTEL's dominance in the digital world... Which seems a little scary !

Cheers

Notice from snlildude87:
Copied from https://gen.xyz/
Edited by snlildude87 (see edit history)

Intel is a monopoly when it comes to mobile CPUs anyway, about 90% of all latops have intel CPUs, all new PDAs also have intel CPUs (it was Motorola in the PALM times, then TI OMAP and now intel Strongarm which I think is a TI derivative actually)

Frankly Reminds me of a movie i saw once in which a company becomes the only component provider in the world and want to take over as a Super Power ... then a bunch of kids kick *bottom* and want everything ... even hardware to be open sourced ... they bring the culprits to the open... Can't remember the name of the movie.Anyways ...wonder where intel is heading ... but still AMD 3200+ with HT is better than current intel processors ...

sound like the movie "antitrust"... or i could be wrong. :P

Frankly Reminds me of a movie i saw once in which a company becomes the only component provider in the world and want to take over as a Super Power ... then a bunch of kids kick *bottom* and want everything ... even hardware to be open sourced ... they bring the culprits to the open... Can't remember the name of the movie.

151066[/snapback]