xisto Community
varunone

Tradition Vs Technology Is Technology Removing Tradition ?

I would like to begin by pointing out that "traditional skills and ways of life are not automatically of one country, but of a culture or community. I many ways the history of civilization is the history of technology: from the discovery of the fire to the invention of the wheel to the development of the internet, we have been moving on from previous ways of doing things. Some technologies, such as weapons of mass destruction are of negative impact. Others, such as medical advances, positively help people to live better or longer, and so very much help traditional ways of life. Surely, few people would seek to preserve such traditions as living in caves!Interestingly, technology can positively contribute to the keeping alive of traditional skills and ways of life. For example, the populations of some islands are too small to have normal schools. Rather than breaking up families by sending children to the mainland, education authorities have been able to use the internet to deliver schooling online. In addition, the internet and the modern refrigeration techniques are being used to keep alive the traditional skills of producing salmon; it can now be ordered from, and delivered to, anywhere in the world.In conclusion, without suggesting that all technology is necessarily good, I think it is by no means 'pointless', in any way, to try to keep traditions alive with technology. We should not ignore technology, because it can be our friend and support our way of life.

I think we should make new technologies, but perfect them, so they don't drive us crazy. Let's perfect the operating system before we move on to software and hardware. Sometimes I think paper and pen are better. My computer takes so long to boot,and it's because my prossesor is overkill, so why not only have the best, for a low price, so I can take care of my boot up problem. I only have like 5 programs starting up, so what's wrong?

I think its not a problem of current technology but that of new technology. Its just that new things are coming out so fast, that month old computers are becoming granddaddies of the electronic age.I had bought a new laptop a Compaq Presario v2036 and a week later i saw the ad for a newer version with better specs and far more better features, and the same price ... felt like a fool then ... wished i had waited.And thats what happen when plp develop new s/w ... they think ull have the latest technology and they 4get about the plp still stuck with old technology.Take example of Longhorn .. the os is not even out yet but the s/w for it is readily available ... !!!Anyways i bet your system must be slow because of your anti virus s/w. If you have no spyware or virus etc ... anti virus s/w is responsible for 76% of the computers booting slow. I bet u have a mcafee or norton.Cheers.

Thinking back, in the 1800's, they were thinking the same thing. Should we move on? Is it breaking our tradition? Same thing goes for us. Yes, of course move on with technology. In the year, 3000, they will think 2005 will be a "tradition" and they will think "they will be new". That's just how life is. We are to move on, no matter what.