xisto Community
moldboy

Modem Problems anyone have fault with the 5699b?

I recently purchaced a USR 5699b and had very bad results, I then exchanged it for another 5699b, and had even worse results, for example I actualy make a connection about 50% of the time, but of that the liklyhood of the connection working is quite slim.

Here is a screenshot of a ping google.com -t that I ran, before, during and after a connection:

Posted Image

How come it can make a successful connection twice, and then not be able to make the connection anymore? and this isn't a one time thing, as you can tell by the scroll bar, I have been running the ping for awile, and have gotten simmilar results every time! Sometimes only one good response!

i think you just contact your isp to solve so a question because your connection so slim is their affairs..ps: there lots of reasons maybe,but , when i don't see your real status so i can't help so much.thank you.Guangdian.

Believe me I have contacted the ISP here how it went:
1) We believe it is the fault of your modem, alright then I'll get a new modem
2) We have run a line test (ISP and Phone co are the same) and it appears to be above average
3)Have you unpluged any other devices using the line? YES
4)Are you untop of Virus/Spyware? YES
5)Have you tried turning off the firewall? YES
6)Have you slowed do the modem? As slow as it will go! YES
7)Have you reinstalled the OS? on a diffrent HDD YES
8)Well we're out of ideas, perhapse you should contact the manufacturer, did that three days ago, no response, also does anybody know a valid USR phone number for Canada?

Now last night I discover that of the few times I make a connection about 50% of the time I can't go to Google.com, but I can go to http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/! It might be really slow but atleast I can go, and I can search, can't go to any of the results, don't know the IP address of them, but I can read the little description, and even view the cach!

If you just purchased a new modem 'm sure it works wellHave you tried to check or contact your ISP provider? Maybe is your provider having problem not your modem.If you are using modem for your internet connection don't expect to much for the performance, it only gives you 56kbps, or less, if you want to have internet connection that fits your desired try to subscribe for DSL or cable connection m sure this will work more than your modem did and with less headache for you too...One thing I forgot, check also the security settings of you computer like firewall and security.

Long story short, been there, done that!Short story long....'m pretty sure this modem doesn't work, despite the newness of it"As of Wednesday June 22nd all services are functioning normaly" (quote from ISP 24h help line) Preceding to talk with a tech does no good, I restart severl time and rebild the dialer, no help. 56kbps, you're kidding me 56 I can get 56, I seem to get about 9 maybe 10kbps (bits, yes bits!)DSL, you know how many time I've said "God, why can't DLink or someone manage to remove the limit on DSL, WHY?" Well actualy that was the first time, but I've though simmilar things in the past, Believe you/me we wouldn't be having this dicussion if DSL was available in my area, infact on the same note, Cell Phone isn't really available in my are, they work, but aren't supported.You'd think admin/no firewall/IE or Firefox/No AntiVirus would be an approperiate security setting. I don't think so. My copy of XP is SP1a so I decided to reinstall on a diffrent HDD, (took a long time) and installed only 3 things above default winXP:1)Firefox2)Modem Drivers (Didn't even install Modem on Hold software)3)Video Drivers (ATI cards don't work well without!)