xisto Community
andrescasta

Sony Nr70 Review! www.cliehelp.com.ar

Hello, This is another Review, maked by me, that also you can read here:

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Posted Image

Why we keep talking about this model, if it was launched 2 years ago?

Why a lot of people say that, when this model appear for the first time, it produced a revolution on Palm World?

Why you should believe me if I tell you that this unit is very special?

Well, all the answers of this question, and much more will be covered in this review.

First, read the specifications of the Clié NR70, i will talk about they then!!!

Processor: Motorola Dragonball SuperVZ 66mhz

Operating System: Palm OS software version v.4.1

Memory: 16MB (DRAM), 8MB (Flash)

Display: TFT color LCD with backlight 320 x 480 pixels, 16 bit color (65,536 colors)

Interface: USB (cradle), Infrared

Dimensions and Weight: 5 1/2 (H) x 2 7/8 (W) x 11/16 (D) inches, 7.0 oz. (including stylus)

Power: AC Power Adapter, Output DC5.2V, Input AC100V - 240V

Battery: Lithium-ion polymer rechargeable battery (internal)

Expansion: Memory Stick® media Up To 128MB (MSH-128A) Or 256MB (MSH-128S2)

The NR70 series come in 2 models, the NR70/U and the NR70/V, the last have a bult-in camera of 320x240 pixels.

Posted Image

The reasons of why it produce a revolution on the Palm World are:

1. ClamShell Design

2. 320 by 480 Hi-Resolution screen

3. built-in keyboard and integrated digital camera

4. Multimedia capabilities (Audio / Video)

What things you can make with the Clié NR70?

Because it have a Motorola 66mhz processor, and O.S. 4.1, (not very powerful), sony decided to put inte the NR70 a DSP with the task of decode audio format's like MP3, ATRAC3, WAV and MIDI, so we could listening to music, and use the calculator, or read a document, without any problems, because the DSP and the Motorola Dragonball SuperVZ are independent.

The sound quality is excellent, better that some OS5 pda's, this is because sony work with yamaha to make a algorithm that make suitable to run under PALM OS 4.1. A lot of games support it, like Warfare Incorporated.

Another great feature is that have a 320 by 480 Hi-Res screen, with this you could see pictures in very high detail, also have a virtul graffiti area where you can see your calligraphy another advantage is that you can see movies in full screen (like wide-screen tv's), with sofware like Kinoma Producer 3(in the final page are link's to download).

If you want a entertainment platform, the clie nr70 is a very good alternative, there are a lot of compatible games insede the 20000 palm applications, One that is interesting to play and to view the performance of your pda is a Lucas ARts (1989-1985 games) Emulator, named Scummvm

The packege of both NR70 include a remote control, with it you could control the Audio-player whit the clié closed.

To write text you can use the Stylus, the hardware keybord, or a virtual keyboard.

In the Clié CD, came a application named Clie Remote, with it you can use your clié like a TV/VCR/DVD Remote control.

Continue reading this review here:

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

hi,the review is nice... I browsed thru it but could not find the mention of price anywhere.... at least an approximation with a disclaimer would be nice .. :Dand a small comparision chart with a similar or competing product would make it better...Cheers.

hi,

the review is nice...  I browsed thru it but could not find the mention of price anywhere.... at least an approximation with a disclaimer would be nice .. :P

and a small comparision chart with a similar or competing product would make it better...

Cheers.

149986[/snapback]

You are right, in future reviews i going to put this info, about the Nr70, it is discontinued, so you can buy it on ebay, or somewhere like that, the price is about U$S150, and you could compare this device with a High End Palm (like Tungsten T3) this is because the low end palms like Zire 31 / 71/ 72 not have a Hires+ 320 by 480 screen or a Hardware Keyboard or the excellet audio quality, the only thing that these palms are better than the NR70 is that support PALM OS 5 so, also support all the applications for this OS.

I don't compare palms with pocketpc because, the palmOS is more stable, faster and easier than the Windows Mobile.

Think that when this model was launched the street price was U$S600.

Good Luck!!

Andrescasta