xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
beeseven

Does You Have To Take Pals In Your Foreign Language Class?

(PALS stands for Performance Assessment for Language Students)

We have to do them at the end of each marking period. Basically you get a prompt and then you have to speak about it for a set amount of time. Then you get another prompt and have to write about it. It's supposed to be this really important thing, but the prompts are a little weird. I just though of this, because I found this in my friend's AIM profile:

You are going on a big vacation this weekend, so of course your German grandmother wants to know all about it.  Unfortunately, she is mute and deaf so she can't talk on the phone.  So you decide to leave a 1:30 message for her.  Make sure to tell where you are going, what chores you are going to do, who you are going with, what kind of clothes you are packing, places you want to see, what you plan to order on your snack bread, how you plan to be healthy, what physical activity you are going to do, what tv shows you are going to watch, and how you are going to injure yourself.

I thought it was funny because that's pretty much what the prompts are. Someone wants something. You can/can't do it. Tell them what you will do there/what you are doing instead. Be sure to include this thing that would never come up in a normal conversation.

that's weird. PALS at my highschool is something different. PAL members are volunteers who take an hour once a week out of their busy schedules to go to one of two elementary schools. The volunteers leave the high school a few minutes before school ends to go to the school to which they are assigned. Once there, they set up everything for the day, take the PALS out of class, and spend about half an hour with them. Together they do crafts, but, most importantly, they spend one-on-one time with each other. Its like an elective course and not for like language.